Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Victoria Grain Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2007, 03:09 PM   #1
GregKelley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Victoria Grain Mill

Has anyone had experience with this type of Grain Mill? I brew extract with specialty grains so this mill appears it might just be the one I need.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2007, 10:42 PM   #2
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

never heard of that one.
is it similar to a Corona mill? if you're only cracking a few pounds of specialty grains for steeping, I would stick to a $20 mill like Corona.

or a marble rolling pin

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 11-28-2007, 11:31 AM   #3
GregKelley
Recipes 

Not sure. I will look into the Corona mill as well. Any experience with that?

Old 11-28-2007, 11:35 AM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 359 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Corona's are cheap (don't spend more than $20) and probably adequate for grinding a pound of specialty grain. If you ever get into AG or even doing decent-sized partial mashes, you really would want something better. VERY hard to control the grind; it's rare when people are able to get good efficiency, at least with any consistency, with a Corona. But, that's not an issue if you're just cracking a little crytal, it's just not something that you can really scale up if you ultimately go AG.

I don't know anything about the Victoria mill other than it LOOKS exactly like a Corona but MoreBeer says it's not... in any case, if you are looking at it new, I would REALLY hesitate to drop $60 on it, as for $120 you can get an excellent, excellent mill that will work for you for life, regardless of where your brewing takes you (the Barley Crusher).

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:13 PM   #5
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I don't mean to pick on you Bird, but I respectfully disagree. Are you basing this opinion that "Coronas=bad" on experience?

When you ask people about their experience with the mill, you actually hear about a lot more successes with Corona's than failures. See here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=32437

I think these mills have an unfair bad reputation. Yes, you will find someone who didn't like theirs, but that could be said of any product, I am sure.

FWIW, I use a Porkert mill (Corona knock-off) and was getting efficiency in the 70's on my second batch (now mine are all in the high-70's or low 80's consistently). It's not actually hard to control the grind, it is just hard to switch it back and forth between different grinds/crushes (that's where an adjustable roller mill shines).

Old 11-28-2007, 01:19 PM   #6
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy
I don't mean to pick on you Bird, but I respectfully disagree. Are you basing this opinion that "Coronas=bad" on experience?

When you ask people about their experience with the mill, you actually hear about a lot more successes with Corona's than failures. See here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=32437

I think these mills have an unfair bad reputation. Yes, you will find someone who didn't like theirs, but that could be said of any product, I am sure.

FWIW, I use a Porkert mill (Corona knock-off) and was getting efficiency in the 70's on my second batch (now mine are all in the high-70's or low 80's consistently). It's not actually hard to control the grind, it is just hard to switch it back and forth between different grinds/crushes (that's where an adjustable roller mill shines).
Notice that I said that it's "rare" that people get good efficiency with a Corona, not that it never happened.

I knew that SOMEONE here (couldn't remember, but now I remember that it was you) reported that you were having success with it, but I've heard from a lot more people (2nd Street comes to mind, but there are dozens of others) who have had a b*tch of a time getting much above 50% - 60%. That's what kept me from bothering with a Corona when I decided I needed to invest in a mill - didn't want to buy twice.

So, bully for you if you've got it right - but I wouldn't be dropping $60 on something that looks EXACTLY like a Corona without knowing exactly what made it different from a Corona, when it's really not that much more to get into a mill that everyone who has used it reports great success with.

(I was basing the $60 off of where I saw it priced at Morebeer; I see it other places online for less than that).

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie

Old 11-28-2007, 01:22 PM   #7
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Yes, agreed that $60 is ridiculous. That's twice what that mill is worth.

And I guess I was trying to rebutt the point that success with a Corona-style mill is *rare*. Maybe there is a bias, but when the topic ever comes up, I seem to hear about a lot more successes than failure.

A caveat -- these mills do require some patience to set up. But once it is dialed in, you can just set and forget.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:31 PM   #8
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

What I still don't understand (and what I think the OP was asking originally) is how this "Victoria Grain Mill" is different from a traditional Corona. OP, wish I could help, but I've neither seen it myself nor heard of anyone using that particular mill.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:38 PM   #9
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
What I still don't understand (and what I think the OP was asking originally) is how this "Victoria Grain Mill" is different from a traditional Corona. OP, wish I could help, but I've neither seen it myself nor heard of anyone using that particular mill.
I've seen the Victoria mill before (though have no direct use personally). My brother's bakery used one for milling various ingredients occasionally. It's essentially identical to the Corona, just slightly different construction. It's still just a turning disk against a fixed plate. I imagine it would work equally well (I'm in FlyGuy's camp on this one, I get mid to high 80's with my Porkert).

If it's $60 at morebeer though I wouldn't even consider paying that, checking ebay should net a corona-style mill for 15-20 I would think.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Last edited by bradsul; 11-28-2007 at 01:51 PM.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:47 PM   #10
GregKelley
Recipes 

Great information, guys. I will definitely look at all of the mills you suggest. Exactly the opinions and discussion I was looking for!

Quick Reply