Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Valve in plastic primary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2006, 04:08 PM   #1
freebird
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Valve in plastic primary?

Well, long story short me and my buddies were gonna bottle some brew, but after racking it into the bottling bucket we decided a tertiary ferment was in order (for more sedimentation). so we let it go in the spigoted bucket.

Now, I'm off work this week, and wondering if I could brew me a batch at home by myself and primary it in that spigoted bucket. or, I guess the question is, can that spigot be sanitized good enough? we use the 5 star PBW for cleaning and the Star-san sanitizer.

oh yeah, why not disassemble the bucket spigot assembly? our he-man weightlifter tightened it so that I can't. don't have any clean pliers to remove it with. plus I'm afraid of it messing up the gasket and making it leak.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2006, 05:29 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

My primary buckets all have spigots. I have a nipple brush I use to clean it. I sanitize by putting the sanitizer in the bucket, run a little out through the spigot, close the spigot. I do this four or five times, then run the rest of the sanitizer through.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-11-2006, 07:28 AM   #3
freebird
Recipes 

hmmm... all the baby bottle stuff is in the garage, for the garage sale... gotta go buy a new nipple brush. and then the inlaws will see it and think the wife's pregnerant again...

been cycling the valve and running sol'n thru it... work it in all the crevices I could, then rinse with scalding water, work some more in...

cool, thanks....

Quick Reply