Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Valley Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2011, 05:34 AM   #1
eric_pwb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Valley Mill

I Inherited a Valley Mill from a local fellow homebrewer about a year ago, and I am FINALLY in the final stages of building my RIMS rig, and I started taking a good look at the mill, and realized I had no instructions for the thing. I was wondering if anyone out there has an Idea as to how fine each of the different set points are?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2011, 09:23 AM   #2
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_pwb View Post
I Inherited a Valley Mill from a local fellow homebrewer about a year ago, and I am FINALLY in the final stages of building my RIMS rig, and I started taking a good look at the mill, and realized I had no instructions for the thing. I was wondering if anyone out there has an Idea as to how fine each of the different set points are?
I don't know what the increments are, but you could easily measure the gap from one click to the next and get a usable value. I would repeat the measurements several times and take an average. It's probably something like .005 per click. Pick up a set of flat feeler gauges at any auto parts store for about $5, maybe less. Store it in your brewing tool kit. You do have a brewing tool kit, don't you?

Old 05-31-2011, 06:08 PM   #3
Bossbrew
Recipes 

You'll really like the Valley mill, and Catt22 gives good advice on the settings. I've used 1 for years with no issues. Squirt a tiny bit of Dupont dry wax spray (or something similar) on the outside ends of the bearings to keep them from heating up and squealing. Use a brush to keep it clean, away from your fermentation area of course. I made a pvc pipe stand for it, and added a motor. Happy crushing!

Dave

Oh yeah, Valley is gone, and they never published actual numbers for the clicks.

Reason: new info

Quick Reply