New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > UV sterilization?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 10:14 PM   #1
Bildo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default UV sterilization?

I make water purifiers at work and am allowed to take scrap home from time to time. One of the things we use is a UV sterilization bulb that is supposed to be very effective, not only in killing bacteria and stuff but making sure they can no longer reproduce if they live(not sure exactly how this works). Any way, sometimes they don't use the bulbs because the have cosmetic issues, they're really picky and throw things out for the stupidest things, but any way, if i were to use some of these to sterilize my equipment, since it wouldn't cost me anything any way to take one home, would it work, or help?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2009, 11:04 PM   #2
Kraghed
Recipes 

I would avoid trying that, or at least test on a small amount so you don't "skunkify" a large batch.

"Beer becomes ’skunked’ when it is unintentionally exposed to light; more specifically, UV radiation"

http://thankheavenforbeer.com/2009/01/26/skunked-beer-beer-mythbusters/

A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her.
W.C. Fields

Kegged: Russian Imperial Stout - Belgian Dark Strong - Vanilla Mead - American/Belgian Ale

Old 10-07-2009, 11:11 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2671 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3467

You don't want to expose you beer to it, but I know there's been a couple of discussions about using it on gear on here...here's two I found.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/uv-sanitation-139887/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/ultra-violet-3186/

I know that there has been a gizmo on the market in the last couple of years to use UV to sanitize/steralize the inside of wooden barrels in the winemaking industry. I don't know how many people on here have experience with it, so you may be the groundbreaker for us.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-07-2009, 11:38 PM   #4
Bildo
Recipes 

Yeah I wouldn't use it on the beer itself, but maybe on the gear and carboys as an extra precaution. But only if I can get a couple bulbs for free, sometimes they're picky on what I can take home, and sometimes they don't car. I took two $600 dollar carbon filters home the other day, just because of cosmetic issues. Too bad the unit they were made for didn't come with it!

Old 10-08-2009, 03:18 AM   #5
sea2summit3
Recipes 

UV could probably work on your equipment. It might depend on how much light the bulb sends out though. (a steri-pen bulb designed to work in a 1L water bottle, might not cut it in a keggle. Since you work for the company, you could probably find out. In Chem lab, we have a big cabinet that sterilizes our safety goggles.

The UV light probably wouldn't work in beer anyways as I believe the light would deflect off particles floating in the beer.

Primary:-
Secondary:IPA, just "IPA"
Bottled: Applewood Smoked Porter, Windy Bridge Stout, Maple Chocolate Pumpkin Ale, Maple Pumpkin Ale, California Steam, Black Cat Porter, Irish Coffee Stout
Kegged: Blackberry Stout, Nut Brown, Sweet Cider, Apfelwein #2, IPA, SNCA Clone

Old 10-08-2009, 03:34 AM   #6
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

just remember that everything has to be clean first. you cannot sanitize something with leftover organic residue.

i also wonder, when all's said and done, if star-san still wouldn't be cheaper and faster. 30 seconds contact time..how long does the UV light take? cost per kilowatt-hour?

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 10-08-2009, 11:11 AM   #7
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Also, be careful as UV exposure can really destroy (make brittle, turn yellow, etc.) some plastics.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:47 AM   #8
hopvine
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I say go for it! The only precaution I would take is eye protection.

What is the UV exposure time necessary to kill bacteria? I would imagine it is very short (<1 min).

Old 10-08-2009, 09:30 PM   #9
Bildo
Recipes 

The time to kill every thing in a one liter bottle would be 15 sec with out bulbs. But it wouldn't work in the carboy because of the size.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:27 AM   #10
dunecat
Recipes 

Default UV Radiation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bildo View Post
I make water purifiers at work and am allowed to take scrap home from time to time. One of the things we use is a UV sterilization bulb that is supposed to be very effective, not only in killing bacteria and stuff but making sure they can no longer reproduce if they live(not sure exactly how this works). Any way, sometimes they don't use the bulbs because the have cosmetic issues, they're really picky and throw things out for the stupidest things, but any way, if i were to use some of these to sterilize my equipment, since it wouldn't cost me anything any way to take one home, would it work, or help?
The UV rays damage the DNA in microbes. Without the DNA the microbe can't repair other damage from the radiation, and even if it doesn't die, it can't reproduce because it doesn't have the instructions to make another microbe.

Quick Reply