New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > using a wort chiller to heat water????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 04:54 PM   #11
WVBeerBaron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I have city water and sewer. The tap water smells strongly of chlorine, so i've never used it before to brew. We have a natural spring in nearby Berkeley Springs, WV which is free. I load up on it evertime im in the area. Last time I took 17 gallons. I brewed my first AG yesterday and it would have been a pain in the a$$ to hook up the wort chiller just to help the tap water reach a higher temp faster. It seemed like a good idea when it came to me but in hind site, not really.

KEGGED: Nut Brown, Smoked Porter, Blue Moon Clone 1, Blue Moon Clone 2, Something Red Amber Clone
CONTEMPLATING: Flanders Red, English IPA, Sack Mead

The elusive Beer Baron continues to thumb his nose at the authorities. Swaggering about in a garish new hat, he seemed to say "Look at me, Rex Banner! I have a new hat!" - The Simpsons

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2009, 05:05 PM   #12
springer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTOJ View Post
I've always brewed with hot tap water. Out of three different houses I've lived in I've never detected any flavor problems attributed to hot tap water. Granted, I let the water run for a bit because I'm in an old house and sometimes the water is funky at first.
I would not recommend using your hot tap water specially in an older home . My house was built in the 50's I'm sure the solder is the 50/50 mix. I replaced all the lines except the main line coming in it copper and is soldered. Lead will leach into hot water in small amounts but will build up in the body. I filter the drinking water. I don't care about the minerals in the water its the lead

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply