Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Using Water from Washing Machine Source

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 01:33 AM   #1
Chugmaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Using Water from Washing Machine Source

I am setting up my system in the laundry room and the only source of water is the washing machine source.

I bought a garden hose splitter today and a barb that I'm going to attach to some silicone hose.

I know that this is not ideal, but what other options do I have?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 305 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I don't see anything wrong with that

Old 01-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 417

My setup is exactly the same way. No reason to think that the water going to the washer is any different from water going to the kitchen sink.

Hit me on Untappd https://untappd.com/user/davekippen

Old 01-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 2

All the water in the house is from the same source - this is usually correct assumption, the only time this might not be correct is if you have some sort of filtration on the water for drinking. If you don't have a filter, then all the water in the house is the same, and as long as you get it from a pipe, it is all drink able. (ie while the water to my faucet and toilet are the same, I will only drink from the non standing source).

If the water is filter, is it is probably whole house. If you only drink bottled water in the house, then you are already proably brewing with bottled water. If the water is good for washing dishes, it is good for washing brewing equipment and good for chilling wort.

In short, if anywhere in the pipes is drinkable, everywhere is. Your pictured splitter looks good. I always like finding valves to stop the flow incase of leaks. I've debated putting a sink in by my washer/dryer and that is exactly how I would do it (with splitters and such). My only concern with the silicon hose and barb is failure over time. So I recommend that you turn it off at your splitter when not in use. When in use, you will be near by in cases of failure and can shut it off before to much water. I think standard water preasure is atleast 1 gallon per minute. Imagine being out for several hours while that leak goes!

My wort chiller I got from a brewsupplier has a barb attachement to the silicon with a hose clamp over it

Old 01-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
Barnesie
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I use my washing machine cold fill spout, but my solution is a bit simpler. I just turn off the water, unscrew the washing machine and then screw in my potable water hose and turn the water back on.

I don't have a need to do laundry and make beer at the same time, so it seems more simple.

25' potable water hose was about $14, no barbs needed.

Bottles: none
Keg: Junkyard IPA, Alagash Belgian Tripel clone

Beware: Everyone is an expert on the internet.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #6
Chugmaster
Recipes 

Thanks for the input. My concern was more with using garden hose brass fittings to bring the water into my system. I'm not sure if the garden hose brass fittings are built to the same standard as regular plumbing brass fittings.

My conclusion is that since it is only water and not acidic wort coming into contact with the brass fittings, the risk of lead from the brass is lower.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You can go into your local hardware store and buy plastic tubing and hook that up to lead free garden hose fittings for not too much, if you want to.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:55 PM   #8
Barnesie
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 34 Posts

I can't honestly say anything specific about that particular garden hose fitting with regards to anything leeching out of it. I'm under the assumption that unless it says it's fit for potable water - it isn't.

A potable water hose (white hose usually with blue pinstriping or silimiar and sometimes called an RV water hose) can be obtained at the big box stores next to all the garden hoses. they run about $14-15 for 25' and won't add anything nasty to your brewing. That's not a bad price and could end up being cheaper then getting barbs and tubing depending on length.

Also, where my valve is for the washer - it's in a pretty exposed area so I wouldn't want to have the chance of accidentally bumping the spare outlet and getting a lot of water or an unnoticed a slow drip. If the wife decides she needs the ability to run the washer at the same time as I run my brewing equipment, I'd probably end up doing something a little more permanent with threaded brass fittings. That's probably just me being overly cautious.

Bottles: none
Keg: Junkyard IPA, Alagash Belgian Tripel clone

Beware: Everyone is an expert on the internet.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #9
Chugmaster
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnesie View Post
I can't honestly say anything specific about that particular garden hose fitting with regards to anything leeching out of it. I'm under the assumption that unless it says it's fit for potable water - it isn't.

A potable water hose (white hose usually with blue pinstriping or silimiar and sometimes called an RV water hose) can be obtained at the big box stores next to all the garden hoses. they run about $14-15 for 25' and won't add anything nasty to your brewing. That's not a bad price and could end up being cheaper then getting barbs and tubing depending on length.

Also, where my valve is for the washer - it's in a pretty exposed area so I wouldn't want to have the chance of accidentally bumping the spare outlet and getting a lot of water or an unnoticed a slow drip. If the wife decides she needs the ability to run the washer at the same time as I run my brewing equipment, I'd probably end up doing something a little more permanent with threaded brass fittings. That's probably just me being overly cautious.
Good call. The other issue at hand is the actual permanent faucet that feeds the washer. I'm pretty sure that it is brass so there is already exposure.

Is this really an issue to be worrying about or should I be spending my time on brewing?

Old 01-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #10
supermoth
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Another cool thing about brewing next to your washer is that, if you use an immersion chiller and you have a top-loading washer, you can run the chiller's exiting water into washer and do your laundry with it.

Quick Reply