New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Using a turkey fryer for cooking and brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2008, 05:11 PM   #1
Brutus Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Using a turkey fryer for cooking and brewing

A buddy of mine wants to borrow my pot for frying a turkey. Would the oil create an unfriendly environment for brewing beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2008, 05:14 PM   #2
Anthony_Lopez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 7 Posts

I'd actually like to know the same thing... I'm thinking of getting my brother in law a turkey fryer for xmas so that he can brew beer, but I know he'll want to fry in it as well...

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
--Tom Waits

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

My Cheap and Easy Stirplate

Old 11-20-2008, 05:24 PM   #3
A4J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

When I was first starting out, I was going to use an old turkey fryer pot. I just could not get the oil smell out of the pot and so I never used it. I was worried about the combination of the smell of oil and wort would just be nauseating.

I think there may be a couple of old threads posted from last year.

My mid-century modern keezer build thread.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:32 PM   #4
halvey
Recipes 

I've been using a fryer kit and have been told that the pots they come with are aluminum abnd shouldn't be used for brewing.

Has anyone else heard this??

My first brew is finishing up but in my taste-tests I havn't found any aluminum taste.

Oak Bitter Bonanza
Fermenting
Unnamed German Dark Lager
Triple Bogey Triple

Old 11-20-2008, 07:35 PM   #5
LooyvilleLarry
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Man, that aluminum thing has been beat to death. See the issue in the sticky

It was a bear to clean up, but my first kettle was a used fryer. Sometimes you can find them as a Stainless. That would be work the extra $$.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:37 PM   #6
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus Brewer View Post
A buddy of mine wants to borrow my pot for frying a turkey. Would the oil create an unfriendly environment for brewing beer?
The issue here is that you have to scrub the oil out of the pot before you can brew again, and that will damage/remove your passive oxide layer from the inside of the pot. That oxide layer protects both your pot and the brew, so you don't really want to remove it. The good news is that you can restore it by boiling the pot full of water for 30 - 60 mins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halvey View Post
I've been using a fryer kit and have been told that the pots they come with are aluminum abnd shouldn't be used for brewing.

Yes, I have heard this and it is confirmed nonsense. The person who gave you that advice didn't have their facts straight. Aluminum pots make EXCELLENT brew kettles. See my Aluminum Pot FAQ (link in my signature) for more info.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:40 PM   #7
skydelta34
Recipes 

My main brew pot is a stainless turkey fryer kit that I bought used. It had alot of old oil on it and it took alot of scrubbing to get to the point I would use it to brew. It was worth the effort to get a stainless pot for the price but I wouldnt go back and use it to fry in at this point. However, it is possible to do both if you are willing to put in the elbow grease to clean it thoroughly. After I got my initial clean done, I boiled a full pot of water to try to get any leftover oil off the metal and then pitched the boiling water when I was done.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:40 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2660 Times on 1605 Posts
Likes Given: 3451

Wow....A buddy was going to give me one of his old turkey fryer pots and we quickly realized that it would be nearly impossible to get the smell/accumulated oil off the surface...

I wouldn't use one...I could just picture the oil slick on my next few dozen beers...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-20-2008, 07:44 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2660 Times on 1605 Posts
Likes Given: 3451

Quote:
Originally Posted by halvey View Post

My first brew is finishing up but in my taste-tests I havn't found any aluminum taste.
There's a lot of old brewer's still stuck in that mindset..I know an entire brew club that still believes it..Despite the fact that all the issues (alzheimers, aluminum taste, acidity of beer causing leeching) have been disproven, as been mentioned in the stickies...

Something to know...John Palmer is a Metalurgist and he talks about turkey fryers all the time....If he had issues he would have said something about it in how to brew.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-20-2008, 07:46 PM   #10
Mazey
Recipes 

I converted my stainless turkey fryer to homebrew boil kettle. Probably fried chickens & wings in it about 15 times. It was a pain to clean the old grease off. Used SOS pads and a lot of elbow grease. Made sure it was very clean. I've done 6 home brew batch with it and no off flavors from the previous frying use. I won't used the kettle for frying (as long as its my boil kettle) because I don't want to go through that cleaning again.

Quick Reply