Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Using Pumps / Whirlpools

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2013, 03:05 AM   #1
Amarillo4BRKFST
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Using Pumps / Whirlpools

Hello fellow brewers and readers - I have just set up my pump system and whirl pool arm w/ my amazing co-brewer and girlfriend - and it rocks.

However - she posed a great question to me that I was incapable of answering:
How do you get the excess wort out of your pump and into your fermenter when you're done recirculating/whirl pooling?

My best guess was to take the outlet hose off of the whirlpool arm, spray it (w/ sanitizer), run it into your fermenter, and plug the pump in. We are slightly concerned that this will in effect be, "dry-running" the pump which is supposed to be pretty freakin bad for it. Does anyone have any insights that they would like to share? We are brewing a series of beers; one a day for three days starting tomorrow so the info would be greatly appreciated.

You know you're a beer enthusiast when while 'ice-bathing' your porter, the kitchen sink collapses, and your primary concern is contamination.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2013, 03:30 AM   #2
prandlesc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I pump my wort out of my boil kettle and into my fermenter, then lift the pump high enough to drain the rest. But we're really talking about a few ounces - not really worth much effort.

Next Brews: Off White - TBD, but at least another try at the Heady Topper clone

Old 09-09-2013, 05:21 AM   #3
mpcluever
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 47

You will never get all losses out of your system. There's losses everywhere. You just account for them. You have to consider time and effort vs benefit gained. Running a pump dry to get 3 ounces of beer is a no brainer in my book.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #4
dcbw
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Disconnect the hoses from the pump and empty those into the fermenter after spraying the ends, but just leave the pump. It's not worth the effort of getting the last 1/2 cup out of it. Plus you brewed 5.5 gallons to compensate for equipment losses and hop absorption right??

Old 09-09-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 420 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 639

I just make my batch size a little larger. Instead of 5 gallons, make a 5.25 gallon batch and adjust your recipe. A few dollars more and no worries about lifting the pump (mine is mounted), and no worries about contamination etc. Just a thought.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #6
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I use the beer left in the hoses/pump at the end of brewday to take my gravity readings - then sample the bitter wort to see what I can expect

People Like This 
Old 09-09-2013, 10:10 PM   #7
Malric
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2 View Post
I use the beer left in the hoses/pump at the end of brewday to take my gravity readings - then sample the bitter wort to see what I can expect
And hydro readings

Old 09-09-2013, 10:32 PM   #8
Bsquared

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Mine goes from the kettle, through the pump into a CFC that is a lower than the fermenter, so I took to using a sanitary or filtered air pump (it has two 0.20µm filter on it) to push out what is left in the lines after the pump.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:29 AM   #9
Amarillo4BRKFST
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks everyone - I have not mounted my pump yet so for now I think I will disconnect the inlet hose and simply lift up to gravity feed the outlet into a container to do gravity readings.

Thanks again! Definitely not going to dry run my pump....

You know you're a beer enthusiast when while 'ice-bathing' your porter, the kitchen sink collapses, and your primary concern is contamination.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #10
Amarillo4BRKFST
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks again everyone for responding - however I used said pump tonight for a single hop IPA (centennial) and man was I disappointed. I started out with a powerful flow after I primed it - but the flow would peter out and be incapable of creating a good whirlpool and assisting my immersion chiller. So I would unplug it, wait ~1min and plug it back in with the same results. It also started to give off that smell that says, "Something is wrong with this little motor." I am using the steelhead from NB and I'm guessing the problem was a combination of not oiling it and problems with my hop strainer (5 and half oz of pellet hops in the kettle is a lot? So some may say).

Thoughts? I just spent a lot of $$ all at once to get the pump, hosing, fittings, new immersion chiller, whirlpool arm, etc. and the system not working properly is kind of a bust.

Thanks again brewing community.

Quick Reply