*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Using a pump with a SS braid in my mash tun

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
CanadianQuaffer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Using a pump with a SS braid in my mash tun

Hey guys,

I searched but found nothing, so my apologies if this has come up before, I'm sure it has.

I am getting a Chugger pump soon (maybe a Great Brew Eh pump though) and I am wondering it it will be compatible with my mash tun which has a SS braid? It's a 10 gallon Rubbermaid/Home Depot cooler with a 1/2" braid set up in a loop/circle.
I've heard that pumps can exert enough pressure/suction to cause channeling with a SS braid.

Is this something I should be concerned about? If so I'll just use the pump to transfer the water from the HLT to the MT and use gravity for the MT to the BK, and then the pump for the BK to my carboys, but I was just wondering if I could use the pump with my current MT configuration?

Cheers!

Nick

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Channeling is primarily caused by moving too much fluid too fast. If you slow down the pump by throttling the outlet you will be fine. I generally try to shoot for a 30-45 Min Sparge. Nice and slow with the temps up as close to 155 as possible. You can also recirc the wort if your want to insure that you are getting a good rinse. I have been known to run the wort through the MLT three times for a larger grain bill rather than trying to cook off a lot of excess water. Seems to work just fine for me.
Wheelchair Bob

What do you mean "no Kidneys"???, WTF now I gotta drink less beer...
Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Old 11-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
CanadianQuaffer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

OK, so just have a ball valve on the outlet of the pump and have it barely open? Like 1/4 max?
That was another question I had was ensuring that the runnings can keep up, but I imagine that's only a concern when batch sparging and the runnings are about to run dry. When fly sparging you pretty much always have enough flow going to the pump, right?

Thanks Bob!

Quick Reply