New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Using Propane in the Garage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2007, 07:43 PM   #1
bigben
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Using Propane in the Garage

Hey!

Ok, first All-Grain this weekend and first time using my burner and keggle.

I'd like to brew in my garage(half garage/half converted to office). But Im afraid. I keep all my lawn stuff in there...weed wacker/leaf blower/lawn mower, etc..as well as gas cans and oil and stuff. So if I were to brew in there would it be safe if I removed everything from there.

Of course I would open the door, but I am just leary of having a giant flame in my garage with all those fumes and stuff in there.

Also, is there anything I need to do to my chiller to prep if for the first time? Does it need to be boiled in vinegar or anything?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2007, 07:46 PM   #2
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Scrub the chiller with pbw and rinse well. If you get the gas/flammables out of the garage, you should be fine. Also, I like to lay a big piece of cardboard down under my kettle/fryer. If you have a boilover, you won't have to powerwash your floor

Old 11-02-2007, 07:52 PM   #3
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...

Recipes 

Liked 479 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben
Hey!

Ok, first All-Grain this weekend and first time using my burner and keggle.

I'd like to brew in my garage(half garage/half converted to office). But Im afraid. I keep all my lawn stuff in there...weed wacker/leaf blower/lawn mower, etc..as well as gas cans and oil and stuff. So if I were to brew in there would it be safe if I removed everything from there.

Of course I would open the door, but I am just leary of having a giant flame in my garage with all those fumes and stuff in there.

Also, is there anything I need to do to my chiller to prep if for the first time? Does it need to be boiled in vinegar or anything?

Thanks!
As long as you don’t have excessive “fumage” from kerosene rags, open paint containers, tools soaking in gasoline, you’re fine.

I brewed in the garage all the time…even in the winter. As long as I had the door cracked and nice air flow, there’s no problem. Take some reasonable precautions.

10gallon_setup.jpg

Now I brew in my basement.

me_brewing.jpg

Old 11-02-2007, 08:11 PM   #4
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 241 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Muncher Dude! Ya gotta get a better captains chair than that folding church basement chair. PLEASE!

Old 11-02-2007, 08:17 PM   #5
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I've missed this question....It's been an whole week since I last saw it!!!

AND

BierMuncher is still sat their alive drinking that same pint!!!!!!!

Old 11-02-2007, 08:20 PM   #6
eviljafar

Recipes 

Do a test run somewhere with really good ventilation and get that burner cranked up nice and high with the keggle on top. Put some water in it of course. You are going to get a lot of smoke and fumes off a burner when you use it for the first time until the paint has set or burned off.

Don't be too worried though, I just did my first 6 gal boil in my apartment bathroom. 7'6" painted ceilings and only 12" to the closest flamable surface can't be worse than your garage. You're not likely to get any sparks but I'd make a buffer zone and make sure the lids on the fuel tanks and cans are tight. Aluminium foil was my friend for heat reflection.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:20 PM   #7
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...

Recipes 

Liked 479 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
Muncher Dude! Ya gotta get a better captains chair than that folding church basement chair. PLEASE!
Already working on it. Got an old lazy boy recliner upstairs (most comfortable ugly chair ever) and four spare castors.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 11-02-2007, 08:21 PM   #8
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher
Already working on it. Got an old lazy boy recliner upstairs (most comfortable ugly chair ever) and four spare castors.
I din't think you did ugly!

Old 11-02-2007, 08:26 PM   #9
eviljafar

Recipes 

What's that set of steps for BierMuncher? Are you only 5' tall?

Old 11-02-2007, 08:28 PM   #10
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviljafar
Do a test run somewhere with really good ventilation and get that burner cranked up nice and high with the keggle on top. Put some water in it of course. You are going to get a lot of smoke and fumes off a burner when you use it for the first time until the paint has set or burned off.

Don't be too worried though, I just did my first 6 gal boil in my apartment bathroom. 7'6" painted ceilings and only 12" to the closest flamable surface can't be worse than your garage. You're not likely to get any sparks but I'd make a buffer zone and make sure the lids on the fuel tanks and cans are tight. Aluminium foil was my friend for heat reflection.
That's pretty hardcore! I might do it in a concrete basement with ventilation, but that takes the cake!

Quick Reply