Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Using PET bottles for long term storage of wort

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2011, 01:04 PM   #1
koomber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Using PET bottles for long term storage of wort

I managed to get a few 1 Litre Pet Bottles, formerly from a Biology lab (they were used to store water). I was wondering does anyone know of a good way to santise these for storage of wort.

I was hoping to use them to make up a couple of litres of wort and then freeze/refridgerate it and defrost and use for a starter. My biggest concern is sterilizing it. I have access to fairly horrific amounts of isopropyl and starsan. Would one of these or an alternative be the best way to sanizise the bottle effectively?

*** EvilTOJ_ changed topic to <koomber> Bodka. Mae from 100% geniuine dylexic potatos

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 02:04 PM   #2
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Why not just boil the wort before making the starter? I have some right out of the mash tun froze in a food saver bag.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

IIRC, boiling wort won't sterilize it and you would be running a risk with anything less than pressure canning. The risk is probably very small, but the stakes are very high. Just an FYI as I am not an expert on this or any other subject. Google botulism for some frightening information.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:06 PM   #4
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I've never sterilized anything. Boiling may not kill botulism spores but it does destroy it's toxin. Freezing the wort limits any growth to about none anyway, as does the pH of fermenting wort.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:45 PM   #5
Jawbox0
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 11

The easiest thing, in my opinion, is to invest in a box of quart freezer bags. They're easy to use, cheap, and disposable. Also, as other say freezing them will keep the nasties from reproducing.

Quick Reply