Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Using a pasta maker to mill grain.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2008, 09:30 PM   #11
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 631 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Death - it depends on the mill. Larger diameter rollers can be much smoother than smaller ones. I've found that a medium knurl that isn't quite "sharp" does a pretty good job at providing enough friction to pull the grain through without shredding it (using 2" dia. rollers). I really want to make a smooth roller mill with 4" dia. rollers, but I don't have the time to devote to it right now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2008, 09:34 PM   #12
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 119 Posts

yeah, the one at the store is huge.

we plan to eventually construct a custom mill similar to the one at the LHBS when i move into a larger brewery the idea is to have it pour directly into the mash while stirring, with no physical labor involved aside from pouring grain into the hopper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrildamus View Post
Well then, if it has received the blessing of the tech-diety Yuri Rage, it surely must be worth a go.

Like he said, the worst that can happen is miserable failure!!!

I can totally see it breaking, exploding under high revolutions or otherwise crapping out half way through a 20 pound grind! I can't wait to swear and then throw it across my backyard and onto the street.
lol, i love those type of experiments!

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 08-10-2008, 09:49 PM   #13
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3488

One thing to do is to try an experiment...Which I happen to be doing right this minute.

I was garage sale-ing today and came upon something interesting, it's not quite a corona grain mill and it is not quite a hand crank meat grinder either...It is a hand crank "food processor." According to google it's from the 1890's. And it cost me 2 whole dollars...

Quote:
LF & C Universal No. 0 Universal Food Chopper " It reads LF & C New Britain Conn USA - No. 0 Universal Food Chopper - L F & C New Britain, Conn. USA - Pat Oct 12, 1897, Apr 18, 1899, Re, Sept 5, 1899. The handle reads Pat - May 15, 1900 Canada Pat Oct 12, 1897 - Great Britain 2432697, D.R.P. No 104762 Brevete SG DG 1897 Belgium 139446.

I just ground 5 ounces of 2- row and am in the process of mashing it in a mason jar with 12.5 ounces of water as per beersmith. After the 45 minmash and sparge with another .64 cups of water (15 mL), I'll strain it, do an iodine test, and take a grav reading. At 75% efficiency I should have a preboil gravity of 1.094....

So I hopefully will be able to evaluate my crush....and my efficiency with it... I figure I'm out 5 ounces of grain, and 2 bucks if I fail. The thing is, I found a TON of these during the yard sale trail today...so it MAY be, with some modifications, a decent alternative to a corona mill, if people come across them for a couple bucks and want to try them....

I have a pasta machine, I may try the same thing one day...

There's nothing wrong with experimenting...think of all the homebrew experiments that have become standard tools to use...the 5 or 10 gallon cooler, the oxygen bottle/airstone, the aquarium pump/airstone, the turkey frier.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-10-2008, 10:07 PM   #14
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 631 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Revvy - AWESOME experiment. I'd run the trial a few times or do a bigger batch. As you miniaturize the brewing process, the margin for error increases greatly.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:23 PM   #15
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
Revvy - AWESOME experiment. I'd run the trial a few times or do a bigger batch. As you miniaturize the brewing process, the margin for error increases greatly.
I plan on it, I just didn't want to waste a lot of grain on zero conversion...Plus I didn't have any grain on hand, and my LHBS is closed on Sunday, but the beerstore in town that has an aisle of homebrew supplies was open, and they sell breiss 2 row for 1.89/pound in sealed bags...

Where I am at so far...I "sparged" and strained the liquor...I did an iodine conversion, and I definitely had conversion, my tincture of iodine drops pretty much stayed the same. I put the sample in the fridge to cool down enough to take a reading. But I did taste it, and it tastes like every other preboil hydro sample I have ever tasted...

I'll post the grav reading in a bit...I have never calculated efficiency before (I've always figured if I hit my preboil and postboil gravs then I did OK.) So after I post the reading I may need help...

For all the N00bs, and other lurkers reading this, experimentation is fun, and you can't die from trying to make beer (well, most of the time) so before you post a "can I do this?" kind of thread, instead consider doing it anyway, and post your results instead....Who knows, you may end up taking the hobby to a whole new level!!!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

People Like This 
Old 08-10-2008, 10:27 PM   #16
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
Interesting, indeed, Revvy. I did something a bit similar a few weeks ago to determine the PG of some Briess pils that I had.

Keep us posted of the results.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:44 PM   #17
Revvy

Recipes 

Well, Beersmith says I should have gotten 1.094, I got 1.071...

It's not great....BUT I will scale it upward enough to actually be able to run it through my mashton, and actually sparge....but it's not a failure. And damn, the hydro sample tastes like it should!!!!

Old 12-04-2008, 04:22 PM   #18
TerapinChef

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Any update on the pasta roller project? I didn't even think about this until today, these things are so easy for me to come by...I've got two in my house right now and at least one more available to me at work...

If nothing else, I might take this whole thing apart and find someone to machine these rollers for me so I can start to make my own mill...

See My Profile for Current Brews

My 3/4 Ton Brewstand "Build"

The Belgian Lady Brewery

Old 12-04-2008, 04:26 PM   #19
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerapinChef View Post
Any update on the pasta roller project? I didn't even think about this until today, these things are so easy for me to come by...I've got two in my house right now and at least one more available to me at work...

If nothing else, I might take this whole thing apart and find someone to machine these rollers for me so I can start to make my own mill...
Yeah, I have one from working with polymer clay. They're cheap. It looks like you gotta be the one to test the theory our.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:25 PM   #20
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Well, Beersmith says I should have gotten 1.094, I got 1.071...

It's not great....BUT I will scale it upward enough to actually be able to run it through my mashton, and actually sparge....but it's not a failure. And damn, the hydro sample tastes like it should!!!!
Forget the hydrometer, it taste right! I use hydrometers as a guide... As posted, with the smaller batch, the percentage is easily off. Hope the actual brew goes better! Worst comes to worst, you can always re pitch it and still have good beer! Two birds with one stone!

Quick Reply