Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Using a pasta maker to mill grain.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2009, 02:43 PM   #151
brown_dog_us
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've used the pasta mill on 5 batches now and it's working perfect. I'm averaging 84% efficiency and I haven't had a stuck sparge. I use an old 3/8 inch paddle bit and my drill to motorize the mill and it is super easy. The drill bit fit perfectly into the slot where the hand crank normally goes.

If I built another one of these I think I could have it modified and ready in less than 2 hours! The hardest part is building the hopper and base

Keg: Imperial Stout
Keg: Steam Beer
Keg: Robust Porter
Keg: Blonde Ale
Keg: Red Ale
Keg: Vienna Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2009, 04:35 PM   #152
Memorex88
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

This looks like a project I'm interested in making.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:48 PM   #153
brown_dog_us
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It's really easy. The first step is locating a cheap pasta maker. Are you married? If so you probably got one as a wedding present.

Keg: Imperial Stout
Keg: Steam Beer
Keg: Robust Porter
Keg: Blonde Ale
Keg: Red Ale
Keg: Vienna Ale
Kerin Likes This 
Old 03-08-2009, 05:32 AM   #154
RedIrocZ-28
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Looks like I know what I am doing tomorrow!

I have been searching high and low for a set of knurled bike pegs, which incidentally I think could be used in place of these rollers that you guys are having a hard time knurling. Found them for $8 on amazon.com.

Primary #1- Biermuncher's Challenger Blonde (LHBS out of Centennial WTF!) 3/15
Primary #2 - American Pale Ale 2/21
Primary #3 - Magic Hat #9 clone 2/28
Primary #4 - 20 Otter Victory 3/5

Trying to accumulate more Budweiser American Ale bottles than Revvy... 1 six pack at a time.

My DIY Immersion Chiller <------ Click Me :)

Old 03-08-2009, 05:44 AM   #155
illnastyimpreza
Recipes 

holly **** this is awesome ! I totaly bought this pasta maker to actually make pasta with a few months back..... The pasta tasted like store bought, so I gave up. Now I have an actual use for the freakin thing !

I'll have to hit you guys back once I get into all grain....I'm still waiting for my GF to finish my bag so I can try brew in a bag

Primary 1: Homemade Cider
Primary 2: IPA
primary 3: empty
primary 4:empty
Kegerator: empty
bottled: Never again... I hate bottling

Primary stirrer and yeast pitcher: my Girlfriend :)

Old 03-08-2009, 04:12 PM   #156
Philsc
Recipes 

This is the thread that lured me to join this site.

I have a pasta roller. Bought it, funnily enough, at an art supplies shop. The Bay didn't have one, Sears didn't have one. The kitchen supplies stores were selling them for over $100 - at that price I might as well get a dedicated grain mill. I was beginning to give up and nipped into the art supplies store next to the art college in dowtown Toronto and they had two.

Now, the problem is knurling them. Most people on this site are very tool savvy. I bought a hammer once, but returned it because it didn't come with instructions. I'll have to ask my neighbour if he can knurl for me. I've never asked someone to knurl before. I'm a bit nervous.

I phoned a couple of machine shops and they come out at $200 - 300 for a knurl!

I've got a couple of questions for the pioneers of this brewing technology:

1. I saw an italian site which was, thankfully, translated here:

Bodensatz Brewing - The Beer Site

There's a beautiful knurl on those rollers, but it also states that the walls of the rollers are quite thin. It looks like some of you guys have been mercilessly brutal to those rollers. Have you gone through the stainless steel and hit something else or were the Italians worrying over nothing?

2. Nostrildamus - Just to confirm, when you say you held the disk at a 45 degree then -45 degree angle to the roller, do you mean you're sanding Xs into the rollers? Could we have a photo of your knurl?

3. Mosfet - did those little Xs work before you got the lines?

I may do the drill bit up against the rollers as per Brown Dog's method (whatever's easiest for my neighbour). Although, I'll ask at the locksmith if they can help me out.

This is an amazing thread - cutting edge. Thanks so much.
You may just have saved an incipient brewing career.

Phil

Old 03-08-2009, 05:10 PM   #157
MOSFET
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philsc View Post

Phil
No, my Xs weren't deep enough. What worked well was milling horizontal lines. After the machine shop did a few lines it was improved, but it was only really good after I machined a few more, but deeper. Definitely be careful because the rollers are hollow! Since few people can access a milling machine, the other suggestions using drill bits, etc. seem more practical. Another thought I had but did not implement was somehow fastening a piece of metal screen wrapped around each roller. I tried plastic screen but it ripped apart. In the meantime I machined the lines. Good luck. Just finished my 9th pasta roller brew yesterday. Love it.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:22 PM   #158
TerapinChef

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I didn't even come close to cutting through, and on closer inspection after removing the rollers, they're not as thin as I thought they would be. Stilll going to talk to a gunsmith, just waiting for someone to get me in touch with one. I know a few people who know gunsmiths and I was hoping to use one of them.

See My Profile for Current Brews

My 3/4 Ton Brewstand "Build"

The Belgian Lady Brewery

Old 03-09-2009, 05:02 PM   #159
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2258 Times on 1611 Posts
Likes Given: 1241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philsc View Post
This is the thread that lured me to join this site.

I have a pasta roller. Bought it, funnily enough, at an art supplies shop. The Bay didn't have one, Sears didn't have one. The kitchen supplies stores were selling them for over $100 - at that price I might as well get a dedicated grain mill. I was beginning to give up and nipped into the art supplies store next to the art college in dowtown Toronto and they had two.

Now, the problem is knurling them. Most people on this site are very tool savvy. I bought a hammer once, but returned it because it didn't come with instructions. I'll have to ask my neighbour if he can knurl for me. I've never asked someone to knurl before. I'm a bit nervous.

I phoned a couple of machine shops and they come out at $200 - 300 for a knurl!

I've got a couple of questions for the pioneers of this brewing technology:

1. I saw an italian site which was, thankfully, translated here:

Bodensatz Brewing - The Beer Site

There's a beautiful knurl on those rollers, but it also states that the walls of the rollers are quite thin. It looks like some of you guys have been mercilessly brutal to those rollers. Have you gone through the stainless steel and hit something else or were the Italians worrying over nothing?

2. Nostrildamus - Just to confirm, when you say you held the disk at a 45 degree then -45 degree angle to the roller, do you mean you're sanding Xs into the rollers? Could we have a photo of your knurl?

I may do the drill bit up against the rollers as per Brown Dog's method (whatever's easiest for my neighbour). Although, I'll ask at the locksmith if they can help me out.

This is an amazing thread - cutting edge. Thanks so much.
You may just have saved an incipient brewing career.

Phil
That is quite expensive for a knurl. I set it up on a lathe at work and it was not hard to do. Still, a wood lathe would not work, because the tool rest is not nearly sturdy enough, nor provide enough pressure, and the lathe itself spins many times too fast on lowest setting.

I like the dremel texture and drill bit approach. Hey, if it works, right?

I built a crusher at work out of scrap stuff and it's nearly complete, but if I'd known about this, I may not have built it from scratch. Well, I have the plans drawn up now, so I might still make another one for a friend anyway.

The knurl tool I used at work did put a texture on the rollers, but it was still too fine to be useful. The grains were not pulled in very well. It's not currently geared for both rollers to roll, so I'm looking to purchase a couple of gears and add them to it. That should do it.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:54 PM   #160
RedIrocZ-28
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

THe one I bought will definitely not crush without a knurl on the "drums" I don't think. After cutting the handle off and attaching it to my variable speed drill I can tell its going to be dificult to crush all the grain without some texture on the rollers. So, I contacted my buddy who said he will knurl them for "beer". I said deal!

So... I am going to have to figure out how to disassemble the side that has the adjuster knob on it. Anyone??? I can't seem to figure it out.

Quick Reply