Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Using an older turkey fryer with ancient tank and regulator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2010, 10:24 AM   #1
bmckee56
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Using an older turkey fryer with ancient tank and regulator

I have an old turkey fryer which I tested out this week on a 7 gallon boil of cold water. I got the water to a rolling boil in approximately 40 minutes (up from 65F.). The current regulator and tank are old and I would like to replace the regulator and upgrade the tank. So my question is: Do I need to replace with the current style of regulator that is now on the fryer, or can I use a high pressure model? If I replace it with a high pressure one, will I need to re-jet the burner or will I be ok? I don't have a picture here with me, but the burner is red colored and much smaller in diameter than many of the burners I see in DIY systems posted here. As I said earlier, I achieved a rolling boil from 65F. in about 40 minutes, Is this timing decent or will a new burner perform better?

I am brewing AG now and use an indoor stove in my basement which works great, but I want to improve my setup slowly and move some brew days outside.

One more question: Can I purchase a regulator with a flame sensor for safety?

Salute!

On Tap #1 - East End Brew
On Tap #2 - Nada
On Tap #3 - Nuttin-Honey Ale
Fermenting - BMB's Cascading Citra Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
wilserbrewer
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 571 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 11

No expert here by any means, but that boil time does not sound terrible to me. Remember, w/ all grain you will be going post sparge temp...say 160....to boil. Big difference from 65 as you did.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply