The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Using Fermwrap all on its own

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
Judochop
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Using Fermwrap all on its own

I’m not using it in conjunction with a temp regulator of any sort. (Someday… just not now.)

I’m doing a couple Belgians in the next two months and would like to see my ferments happen at least in the mid-70’s. I’ve got options; a spot in the basement hovers around 60, another @ 64, and upstairs is around 68.

I just have no idea how much the fermwrap is going to heat things up. The BBB website on the Fermwrap says it’ll boost 4-20 degrees depending. That’s a big range. I’m not sure if the lower value ‘4’ means a carboy with the wrap hugging it or something less severe.

Has anybody used the Fermwrap as plainly advertised? Meaning, just wrapped around a glass carboy and left ON, no other gimmickry applied. What kind of temp bump can I expect?

Any advice based on my (environmental) conditions?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2010, 01:59 PM   #2
Judochop
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Bump.

Anybody used the Fermwrap and observed the resulting temp increase?

Old 04-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
jedIPA
Recipes 

The fermwrap can be regulated a little bit. I have one of those stick on thermometers on the side of my carboy to help. Basically I wrap a towel around the carboy then apply fermwrap. You can adjust the contact thus controlling the temp. I use small spring clips to hold the fermwrap to the towel.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:15 PM   #4
Judochop
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedIPA View Post
The fermwrap can be regulated a little bit. I have one of those stick on thermometers on the side of my carboy to help. Basically I wrap a towel around the carboy then apply fermwrap. You can adjust the contact thus controlling the temp. I use small spring clips to hold the fermwrap to the towel.
Cool. What kind of temp increase do you get with your towel method?

Old 04-13-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
jedIPA
Recipes 

Well my temp this time of the year in my kitchen run between 60-70. If I put fermwrap directly on the carboy it can get too warm. I found with the towel and loosely putting fermwrap on I get 72-4 degrees. I try not to go much over 70 but sometimes I need the fermwrap.

Quick Reply