Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Using a Corney as it was originally intended

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2011, 01:40 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4929 Times on 3574 Posts
Likes Given: 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
I have the same for my beer...but aren't you setting it to 30 PSI to force carb, then turning it down to 10 or so? If you do that, then you should be able to have 8' lines, right? Or is there something different about soda?
No. My psi for soda is 30 psi. I don't mess around with turning it up and down. If you turn it down to a "serving pressure", it'll still blast out like a firehose and foam. I keep my pressures the same, all the time. My co2 tank is in the kegerator, in the back, and I'm not messing with it turning it up and down, ever. It's always set where it's set.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 02:06 PM   #12
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 89

OK, if I were to run a seltzer keg, would I need to use braided air and liquid hose, or would standard hose work? And does everyone who does the seltzer/soda agree that long liquid lines are a must? Trying to figure out the logistics of 30ft of seltzer line is a little daunting...

I'm in the design stages of my kegerator, and SWMBO would like a seltzer tap... Just trying to figure out all the parts I'd need...

Old 01-27-2011, 03:03 PM   #13
shortyjacobs
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Standard hose works fine. It can handle pressures far higher than 30-some PSI. Just make sure you have some hose clamps on everything...that extra pressure can kick a line off a barb where 12 PSI didn't.

Is seltzer just carbonated water? When I did that, I used 34 PSI, and 35 feet of 3/16 line. For soda water, you really don't want vinyl line, (like you use for beer), because the plastic flavor really shows through, and 35 feet of it take up an ungodly amount of room. Instead, I bought 50' of polyethylene tubing (3/16, thin walled, hard) from McMaster (part no 5181K424, $0.15/ft), coiled 35' of it and bound the coil with electrical tape....takes up very little space, about as much space as a 6-7' of the 3/16 thick walled vinyl line.

Info on the plastic taste: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/beer...c-taste-60380/

(As of 10-24-2011)
Primary - Steppe 112 PA, 2x Monday RyePA
Aging - None :-(
On tap - Big Dog, Apfelwein, Steppe 112 PA

My invisible AG sculpture, with no actual sculpture and a tiny footprint.
My Kegerator goes offroading!
My Coors Home Draft dispenser for boating/beering on the go.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:12 PM   #14
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4929 Times on 3574 Posts
Likes Given: 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyjacobs View Post
Standard hose works fine. It can handle pressures far higher than 30-some PSI. Just make sure you have some hose clamps on everything...that extra pressure can kick a line off a barb where 12 PSI didn't.

Is seltzer just carbonated water? When I did that, I used 34 PSI, and 35 feet of 3/16 line. For soda water, you really don't want vinyl line, (like you use for beer), because the plastic flavor really shows through, and 35 feet of it take up an ungodly amount of room. Instead, I bought 50' of polyethylene tubing (3/16, thin walled, hard) from McMaster (part no 5181K424, $0.15/ft), coiled 35' of it and bound the coil with electrical tape....takes up very little space, about as much space as a 6-7' of the 3/16 thick walled vinyl line.

Info on the plastic taste: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/beer...c-taste-60380/
That's exactly what I use for soda, too. It is pretty rigid, and sits right on top of the keg. It works great, and if you buy 100 feet, the cost goes way down!

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 01-28-2011, 11:18 PM   #15
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Or is there something different about soda?
Just that soda pop is like twice the CO2 volumes as the most carbonated hefe you'll ever drink.
If you carb rootbeer at 12psi, it comes across as totally flat.

Pretty sure the gravity and sweetness is changing the mouthfeel and carbonation dynamics as compared to beer.
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 02-02-2011, 01:04 AM   #16
d_ozz68
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
That's exactly what I use for soda, too. It is pretty rigid, and sits right on top of the keg. It works great, and if you buy 100 feet, the cost goes way down!
Is there a trick to get this hose onto a 1/4" barb fitting on my disconnect? I just got my order of this hose today and I tried heating it but I still could not get it on the disconnect? Any tips/tricks you could pass along?

Thanks!

Old 02-02-2011, 03:41 PM   #17
shortyjacobs
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_ozz68 View Post
Is there a trick to get this hose onto a 1/4" barb fitting on my disconnect? I just got my order of this hose today and I tried heating it but I still could not get it on the disconnect? Any tips/tricks you could pass along?

Thanks!
Boiling water, and a lot of swearing. Dunk it in boiling water, and use something like a large philips head screwdriver to stretch the opening bigger. I've also broken down and used a 1.5" piece of 3/16" vinyl tubing as an "adapter" between the poly tube and the barb. The adapter isn't great though, because even with hose clamps the poly tubing can pop out of the vinyl, (because of no barbs), and the transition from one tubing to another causes some turbulence.

(As of 10-24-2011)
Primary - Steppe 112 PA, 2x Monday RyePA
Aging - None :-(
On tap - Big Dog, Apfelwein, Steppe 112 PA

My invisible AG sculpture, with no actual sculpture and a tiny footprint.
My Kegerator goes offroading!
My Coors Home Draft dispenser for boating/beering on the go.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:52 AM   #18
d_ozz68
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyjacobs View Post
Boiling water, and a lot of swearing. Dunk it in boiling water, and use something like a large philips head screwdriver to stretch the opening bigger........

Thanks!! I was using the first two items listed, especially the second I just needed to add the screw driver to get the deal done.....The soda water is flowin' nice now. Thanks Again!!

Old 02-03-2011, 02:00 AM   #19
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratslinger View Post
OK, if I were to run a seltzer keg, would I need to use braided air and liquid hose, or would standard hose work? And does everyone who does the seltzer/soda agree that long liquid lines are a must? Trying to figure out the logistics of 30ft of seltzer line is a little daunting...
I keep 2 kegs of water in the fridge at all times - one on tap for seltzer and the other carbing up to swap out when I kill the first one. Both are attached with normal, 5/16" PVC hose and both are at 35PSI.

Like you, I thought 30' of line was ridiculous, so I put two of these little Delrin epoxy mixers in each diptube for my dedicated water kegs and ran 6' of 3/16" beer line. Result? Perfect pours at 35PSI.

-Joe

Old 02-03-2011, 02:04 AM   #20
dap325
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just did a Sprecher soda and have it carb'd to 30 psi. You will definitely need a long line like people have been suggesting. I have a 5' line connected to a cobra tap and I get 90% foam and 10% soda each pour. You need the longer line to balance out the system and get a decent pour. Or you could give this a shot...Check out this link

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/cure...oubles-100151/

I may try this method first instead of coiling up 30ft of line in my kegerator.

Edit: Nostalgia beat me to it while I was looking for the link to that thread.. lol

Quick Reply