Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Using a Corney as it was originally intended
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2011, 10:01 PM   #1
Torg
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 151
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Using a Corney as it was originally intended

I am setting up one of my 5 gallon Corney kegs as a premix keg for soda. As in its original use. To this end I have gotten high pressure braided hose for the liquid out and regulator for force carbonation that goes to 100 psi.

My question is has anyone actually force carbonated soda in a Corney. I normally force carbonate my beer simply by setting it at serving pressure and leaving it there for a few days.

Can I do the same with soda?
If so, what pressure should it be?

If I wanted to force carbonate it faster, how much and how long should I pressure it? I know a McCann's carbonator normally uses CO2 at 100-110 PSI, but I really doubt soda should be that high. I know it is using that much because of the time it has to force carbonate. I can wait a few days. So how much pressure should I put on the keg?

__________________
Torg is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 61,108
Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torg View Post
I am setting up one of my 5 gallon Corney kegs as a premix keg for soda. As in its original use. To this end I have gotten high pressure braided hose for the liquid out and regulator for force carbonation that goes to 100 psi.

My question is has anyone actually force carbonated soda in a Corney. I normally force carbonate my beer simply by setting it at serving pressure and leaving it there for a few days.

Can I do the same with soda?
If so, what pressure should it be?

If I wanted to force carbonate it faster, how much and how long should I pressure it? I know a McCann's carbonator normally uses CO2 at 100-110 PSI, but I really doubt soda should be that high. I know it is using that much because of the time it has to force carbonate. I can wait a few days. So how much pressure should I put on the keg?
I don't use premix, but I make ginger ale and root beer. At fridge temps, I set my regulator at 30 psi and it's ready in a week and stays perfectly carbed. I need 25 feet of line to serve it with my system, though.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 10:15 PM   #3
Suthrncomfrt1884
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Rockford, Illinois
Posts: 4,079
Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I don't use premix, but I make ginger ale and root beer. At fridge temps, I set my regulator at 30 psi and it's ready in a week and stays perfectly carbed. I need 25 feet of line to serve it with my system, though.
+1. I do the same thing.
__________________
He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven.

Another HERMS rig...
Suthrncomfrt1884 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 11:33 PM   #4
ScubaSteve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ScubaSteve's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Bern, NC
Posts: 3,674
Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I don't use premix, but I make ginger ale and root beer. At fridge temps, I set my regulator at 30 psi and it's ready in a week and stays perfectly carbed. I need 25 feet of line to serve it with my system, though.
Why 25 feet of line? Do you do the same for your beer?
ScubaSteve is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 12:36 AM   #5
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 5,420
Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

When I did my soda I needed to go 40 psi. Long line length allows you to pour without it shooting out like a foam rocket. I found that pre-carbing the cold water and then adding cold syrup/sugar solution sped up the process. All in all it was too much effort and beer is better for you.

__________________
samc is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 12:39 AM   #6
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
IrregularPulse's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 42,830
Liked 2771 Times on 2720 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Default

I plan on doing sodas one day, but will just keep carbonated water on tap with multiple syrups in hand pumps.

__________________
Tap Room Hobo

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo
IrregularPulse is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 12:44 AM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 61,108
Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Why 25 feet of line? Do you do the same for your beer?
Heck no! I have mostly 8' feet lines for my beer. But my beer is at 11-12 psi, not 30-40! Using 25 feet (or more) balances it.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 12:56 AM   #8
ScubaSteve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ScubaSteve's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Bern, NC
Posts: 3,674
Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

I have the same for my beer...but aren't you setting it to 30 PSI to force carb, then turning it down to 10 or so? If you do that, then you should be able to have 8' lines, right? Or is there something different about soda?

__________________
UNIBREW 5500 SINGLE VESSEL BREWERY
WOODEN SINGLE TIER
ScubaSteve is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 02:56 AM   #9
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 5,420
Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
I have the same for my beer...but aren't you setting it to 30 PSI to force carb, then turning it down to 10 or so? If you do that, then you should be able to have 8' lines, right? Or is there something different about soda?
It would eventually lose carb down to the 10 psi level if you did that.
__________________
samc is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 03:06 AM   #10
scsi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 143
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I've got Dr Pepper on my 4th tap... I force carb and serve at 40psi.

To force carb the sodas, I put it on 40psi and chill it for a few days, then take it out and roll it around the floor at 40psi for a while... THen let it settle back down in the keezer.. Usually takes a week or so.

Is it just me, or is it harder to carb soda than it is beer? Seems to take longer...

__________________
Brewed by A Sad Human in Texas.

Primary: Orange Honey Wheat, Texas Bock, ESB
Secondary: Oktoberfest
On Tap: Chocolate Milk Stout, Blond Ale, Texas Bock, Blueberry Muffin, Hefeweizen, Irish Red Ale, California Common, Dr Pepper
scsi is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Corney Keg Stand JayInJersey Equipment/Sanitation 2 10-01-2009 03:31 PM
ID / OD of corney dip tube? BargainFittings Equipment/Sanitation 0 12-01-2008 10:58 PM
2.5 Gal Corney Worh It? ScubaSteve Equipment/Sanitation 10 06-05-2008 05:41 PM
What is the best wort chiller for my intended setup? solbergg Equipment/Sanitation 21 05-08-2008 02:02 AM
Corney Weight and CO2 digdan Equipment/Sanitation 10 01-04-2007 01:01 AM