Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Equipment/Sanitation (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/)
-   -   Using a Corney as it was originally intended (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/using-corney-originally-intended-220743/)

Torg 01-26-2011 10:01 PM

Using a Corney as it was originally intended
 
I am setting up one of my 5 gallon Corney kegs as a premix keg for soda. As in its original use. To this end I have gotten high pressure braided hose for the liquid out and regulator for force carbonation that goes to 100 psi.

My question is has anyone actually force carbonated soda in a Corney. I normally force carbonate my beer simply by setting it at serving pressure and leaving it there for a few days.

Can I do the same with soda?
If so, what pressure should it be?

If I wanted to force carbonate it faster, how much and how long should I pressure it? I know a McCann's carbonator normally uses CO2 at 100-110 PSI, but I really doubt soda should be that high. I know it is using that much because of the time it has to force carbonate. I can wait a few days. So how much pressure should I put on the keg?

Yooper 01-26-2011 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torg (Post 2587466)
I am setting up one of my 5 gallon Corney kegs as a premix keg for soda. As in its original use. To this end I have gotten high pressure braided hose for the liquid out and regulator for force carbonation that goes to 100 psi.

My question is has anyone actually force carbonated soda in a Corney. I normally force carbonate my beer simply by setting it at serving pressure and leaving it there for a few days.

Can I do the same with soda?
If so, what pressure should it be?

If I wanted to force carbonate it faster, how much and how long should I pressure it? I know a McCann's carbonator normally uses CO2 at 100-110 PSI, but I really doubt soda should be that high. I know it is using that much because of the time it has to force carbonate. I can wait a few days. So how much pressure should I put on the keg?

I don't use premix, but I make ginger ale and root beer. At fridge temps, I set my regulator at 30 psi and it's ready in a week and stays perfectly carbed. I need 25 feet of line to serve it with my system, though.

Suthrncomfrt1884 01-26-2011 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yooper (Post 2587485)
I don't use premix, but I make ginger ale and root beer. At fridge temps, I set my regulator at 30 psi and it's ready in a week and stays perfectly carbed. I need 25 feet of line to serve it with my system, though.

+1. I do the same thing.

ScubaSteve 01-26-2011 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yooper (Post 2587485)
I don't use premix, but I make ginger ale and root beer. At fridge temps, I set my regulator at 30 psi and it's ready in a week and stays perfectly carbed. I need 25 feet of line to serve it with my system, though.

Why 25 feet of line? Do you do the same for your beer?

samc 01-27-2011 12:36 AM

When I did my soda I needed to go 40 psi. Long line length allows you to pour without it shooting out like a foam rocket. I found that pre-carbing the cold water and then adding cold syrup/sugar solution sped up the process. All in all it was too much effort and beer is better for you.

IrregularPulse 01-27-2011 12:39 AM

I plan on doing sodas one day, but will just keep carbonated water on tap with multiple syrups in hand pumps.

Yooper 01-27-2011 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScubaSteve (Post 2587754)
Why 25 feet of line? Do you do the same for your beer?

Heck no! I have mostly 8' feet lines for my beer. But my beer is at 11-12 psi, not 30-40! Using 25 feet (or more) balances it.

ScubaSteve 01-27-2011 12:56 AM

I have the same for my beer...but aren't you setting it to 30 PSI to force carb, then turning it down to 10 or so? If you do that, then you should be able to have 8' lines, right? Or is there something different about soda?

samc 01-27-2011 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScubaSteve (Post 2588031)
I have the same for my beer...but aren't you setting it to 30 PSI to force carb, then turning it down to 10 or so? If you do that, then you should be able to have 8' lines, right? Or is there something different about soda?

It would eventually lose carb down to the 10 psi level if you did that.

scsi 01-27-2011 03:06 AM

I've got Dr Pepper on my 4th tap... I force carb and serve at 40psi.

To force carb the sodas, I put it on 40psi and chill it for a few days, then take it out and roll it around the floor at 40psi for a while... THen let it settle back down in the keezer.. Usually takes a week or so.

Is it just me, or is it harder to carb soda than it is beer? Seems to take longer...


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:02 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.