Using brass on stainless fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moose777

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I could not find the size stainless steel NPT fitting for my stainless boilermaker so I am using brass instead.

I know I've read that stainless is preferable but are there any problems with using a setup like this where I have a brass fitting connected to stainless?

Any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks.

I could not find the size stainless steel NPT fitting for my stainless boilermaker so I am using brass instead.

I know I've read that stainless is preferable but are there any problems with using a setup like this where I have a brass fitting connected to stainless?

Any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks.

I've had brass fittings on my stainless kettle since 1996 and its just fine. Granted I've since upgraded but I still use brass with stainless.

I believe it's stainless and aluminum you don't want to mix.

Because I couldn't find what I needed in ss online. Anyway I have no problem with brass unless it causes deterioration or to the pot or imparts off flavor to the beer

This is likely cheaper than you would pay for brass:

barb from KLG Stainless

also:
Bargain Fittings

1/2" Threaded NPT Hose Nipple 304 SS V=2.36

NORTHERN BREWER: Plumbing Fitting and Parts

Stainless - 1/2" mpt x 1/2" Barb | MoreBeer

Austin Homebrew Supply

http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/products/SS-Hose-Barbs-12-MPT-x-12-Barb-0101725

Really, every online place will have them, it just depends who you want to give you money to. If you have a good plumbing supply store in your area, they may have them in stock.

Kevin from KLG Stainless (first link) has incredible prices on stuff direct from china and I have been very happy with his service and the quality of his products.

@#$#!!!! I just bought stainless parts from AHS. KLG is about half. Ah well, he shipped me a wine kit, malt, fittings, and a gas whip for only $7shipping - and Super fast.

-OCD

Back