Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Used CO2 Tanks?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2007, 03:58 PM   #1
Bigfoot99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Used CO2 Tanks?

Anyone have any suggestions on where I can find a good deal on a couple of used 20 LB. CO2 tanks? I need to obtain a couple more, but do not want to drop $100 on a new one because it will just be exchanged at the local gas distributor. I've looked at several of the local (Denver) businesses, none sell cheap or lease. Also checked Craigslist and eBay (really don't want to get it off of eBay; can't inspect it first, don't know if it is stamped by a bottling company - local places won't fill company owned tanks), there was nothing good. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:16 PM   #2
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I saw some steel tanks on ebay yesterday with a buy it now price of $50 + shipping

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2007, 04:51 PM   #3
Bigfoot99
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkonkie
I saw some steel tanks on ebay yesterday with a buy it now price of $50 + shipping
Thanks for the response. I didn't see those when I did a search; all the ones I saw were either of questionable quality/origin, or the shipping killed the deal. Of course I'm not a big fan of their search function - never seem to get exactly what I want. Would you happen to have a link? Thanks.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:41 PM   #4
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

No sorry I couldn't find it today. The guy may have sold it

From what I see posted here you really gotta be careful about buying tanks on
ebay.

Old 02-03-2007, 08:42 PM   #5
G-E-R-M-A-N
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It sucks , right before I got into brewing there was a 20Lb co2 tank sitting by the dumpster (new looking). Something told me to grab it, but I said why would i need it.
1 week later I was gathering equipment and getting into brewing.

The beer gods were laughing that day.

Old 02-04-2007, 02:09 PM   #6
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-E-R-M-A-N
It sucks , right before I got into brewing there was a 20Lb co2 tank sitting by the dumpster (new looking). Something told me to grab it, but I said why would i need it.
1 week later I was gathering equipment and getting into brewing.

The beer gods were laughing that day.
maybe not it could have been stolen, or out of date then you might have had to pay for a hydrostatic test. Also the gas co. may have recognized it as their's and charged you 2 years rent.

It seems you may be better off renting a tank. It irritates me that the folks around here want to exchange my nice new aluminum tank for an old steel one. And the folks that will fill my tank all want 2x the money.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:08 PM   #7
Bugeaterbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have bought a couple tanks of eBay with no problem at all. I have also bought one at a yard sale for only $10 and found a 20# tank next to a dumpster.

I exchanged the found tank. It was unmarked as to an owner and was also a couple years out of certification. The exchange place (AirGas) gave me another with no questions asked and didn't charge me for the hydrotesting and certification my old tank would need. The tank they gave me was clearly stamped "Property of PepsiCo". I have had it filled since (filling is cheaper than exchanges) and never had any problem regarding "ownership" of the tank.

The big think to watch out for if getting one off eBay, is to make sure the tank is undamaged and preferably with a recent certification. Make sure the seller actually states this in the auction ad. That way you can go back to them if they have misrepresented the item. EBay will also put pressure on them to make good. As far as being ugly goes, that's only cosmetic. It doesn't affect whether it holds pressure. If it is too ugly for you, exchange it. I traded an incredibly ugly one in for a nice pristine freshly painted one with no problem at all.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

Old 09-10-2011, 05:00 PM   #8
subliminalurge
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

For me, the cosmetic thing isn't an issue. The tank is either inside the kegerator where nobody can see it, so appearance doesn't matter. Or it's sitting out of the kegerator in open view, in which case you've already made the decision that the appearance of the whole setup doesn't matter. Either way, who cares what the tank looks like.

The part that does bug me is that I'm currently shopping for a tank and all I can find is new aluminum ones. I'd be delighted to pay half the price for a butt-ugly steel tank if I could just frickin' find one somewhere.....

Old 09-10-2011, 11:49 PM   #9
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1380 Times on 1115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminalurge View Post
[...]The part that does bug me is that I'm currently shopping for a tank and all I can find is new aluminum ones. I'd be delighted to pay half the price for a butt-ugly steel tank if I could just frickin' find one somewhere.....
Got an AirGas or similar outlet near you? Or a welder supply company?

Cheers!

Old 09-11-2011, 12:02 AM   #10
subliminalurge
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
Got an AirGas or similar outlet near you? Or a welder supply company?
Actually, many. I just haven't had a chance to call around yet since their hours are RIDICULOUSLY inconvenient. (They're open the exact same hours I'm at work and I've been busy enough lately that personal business doesn't even really pop into my head, much less have time to get on the phone. Yeah, I know, I'm not exactly their target customer... lol....)

Using AirGas or Praxair as an example, how pricey are they to buy or rent the cylinder? And any headache inducing paperwork to set up an account or anything? Deposit?

I was doing some looking online this morning and I can (duh) get a much better initial kegging setup if I can rent the cylinder initially. Of course, a big deposit would cancel that out.

(I'm starting to regret taking a pass on the used sanke fridge kit I looked at last weekend. 5lb cylinder, POS regulator, POS faucet, and a 1/4 bl keg for $75. Hell, that's what a new cylinder is going to cost me (after shipping) if I have to get it online....)

I suppose I could wait until monday to call, but I'd kind of like to get the rest of the system ordered this weekend and which setup I buy pretty much hinges on how much I'm going to have to outlay to get a filled co2 bottle (rented or purchased, whichever comes out less).

Any kind souls willing to overlook my complete lack of preparation on this issue and fill me in on what to expect when I call around on Monday?

Quick Reply