Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Urgent kegging question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2010, 09:59 AM   #1
Ben_Persitz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Urgent kegging question

I took my corny apart tonight and noticed a couple weird things. I plan on kegging tomorrow and just want to make sure I'll be okay before I put it in there.

First:

The o-ring on my gas post is a little worn, seems like it's got a crack in it, the keg still pressurizes though (tried it awhile ago and co2 comes out the release valve when I seal it and pull up).

Second:

The poppet valve on my liquid out line seems to be stuck in the post.

Will I still be okay to keg?

PRIMARY: Perfect Pale Ale

COMING SOON: Citra SMaSH, Simcoe SMaSH

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2010, 11:20 AM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 614

If it's the o-ring for the dip tube it may/will give you some problems down the road. If it's the o-ring off the post you should be fine to keg and simply stop by your LHBS or shop on line and get one to install before you attach your serving line. They are cheap. Some of my poppet valves need 'persuasion' to get out. A small screw driver and a slight 'love tap' usually removes them.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
TheDom

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you need to keg before making it to a store to pick up a new o-ring, itld help if you had some kinda lube for the rings to keep 'em happy. If its holding pressure now, some lube may help it form a better seal for a bit longer. Silicone grease is the best, from what I've gathered here, but vaseline can work in a pinch. I think the vaseline will degrade the o-ring over time so I wouldn't hit all yor rings with it, just the troubled one.

For the poppet, don't worry about it too much. If I've read correctly on here, some poppets just don't come out, and a good soak in whatever cleaner you use will be fine to get it cleaned out.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:59 AM   #4
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 441

What Hammy71 said - plus:

There is a style of corny keg (not very commom) that has the poppet installed in a manner that makes it very difficult to remove:

The feet of the poppet rest on a ledge and must be pried out for it to be removed.

Old 11-25-2010, 02:03 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 966 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Some also just pressure fit to the sidewall of the post. Sit it on a piece of cardboard and push the popped down with a screwdriver.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 11-25-2010, 02:24 PM   #6
TheDom

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Was I wrong in telling the OP that the poppet doesn't really need removed? Please correct me if so. Happy Thanksgiving!

Old 11-25-2010, 05:59 PM   #7
Ben_Persitz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The o-rings on my posts are fine. They're red and yellow, weird. It's the o-ring on my liquid out tube that is screwed up. I have an extra one but I don't know if it's supposed to fit over the bottom of the post or the tube?

Old 11-25-2010, 07:57 PM   #8
Ben_Persitz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I just put some water in my keg, put the pressure to 10 and immediately poured it through my faucet. I noticed that there seemed to be some air in my beer lines. Pockets of air, and it seemed like the keg was making a loud noise on dispensing, kind of like I had a leak. I want to keg today but I'm worried my system is screwed up. Can anyone provide any good advice?

Old 11-25-2010, 08:17 PM   #9
TheDom

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Fill a spray bottle with some soapy water, hook your keg up and pressurize it, then spray down both posts and the big top seal and see if any bubbles form. If you get bubbles, you know where your leak is.

As far as your o- rings, the o-ring on the tube is supposed to sit on the tube, just touching the flared out part at the top. When I replaced mine I just slid the old one down offthe bottom of the tube, and put the newone on in the reverse order.

You also mentioned your o-rings are yellow and red.... Is this a used keg that you'll be using for thefirst time? If so, you should replace all the o-rings before filling it to avoid getting soda flavors in your beer.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:19 PM   #10
AKbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Clean and sanitize your keg, lube up the rings and pressurize to about 30 pounds to seal everything up. Let some pressure out until you have about 10 lbs in the keg. Get some sanitizer and pour it over all your connections, lid posts etc. If there are no bubbles showing leaks keg away.

Quick Reply