New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Upgrading to full boil and AG, possible in kitchen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 07:34 AM   #1
darth5aint
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Upgrading to full boil and AG, possible in kitchen

I live in an apt so cant take my brewery outdoors. Im doing 5 gal extract batches now in a 5 gal pot. First thing is I want to upgrade to full boil, then to all grain batch sparging. My question is has anyone else had luck doing this in thier kitchen, I just don't think my burner can crank out that kind of heating power. Also how big of a kettle do I need to do a full boil?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 07:40 AM   #2
tally350z
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did 5 gallon all grain batches in my 10 gallon pot on my stove. I had to use 2 burners under the pot and it still took about 35 minutes to get to a boil.

Kegged
- Chocolate Milky Stout, Bevarian Hefe
, Nut Brown Ale, Cream Ale
Bottled - Muscadine Port

North Florida Brewers League

Old 01-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
Kirch3333
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Lots of poeple do full boil bathes on their stove but most of them do smaller batches due to the lenght of time it would take to boil a full 5 gallons or that they have height limitations for kettles. The size of your kettle will depend on the size batch you do. I have a 30qt (7.5 gal) kettle I use on my turkey fryer and do full boils for 5 gallon batches. I would'nt go with any smaller of a kettle though because I like the amount of room left on top to help prevent boilovers. This same pot would never fit on my stove because the microwave/hood is placed directly above my stove and I wouldn't be able to take the lid off, stir the wort, or put in a chiller. If you are dead set on a full boil just make smaller batches. If you want to keep doing 5 gallon batches topoff with cold water, which would help cool it to pitching temps faster as well. Even when I do full boils for 5 gal batches I usually have to add a small amount of top off water anyway because of evaporation.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
Calichusetts
Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 475

Maybe try 3.5 gallon batches...it would be tight and I don't know your boil off but you should get it all in there and be okay.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Liked 3848 Times on 2812 Posts
Likes Given: 640

I was able to- but I had a great gas stove with one huge burner. It still took a long time to come to a boil, but it worked out very well for me. I think in most cases, though, many people don't have stoves that can boil 6.25 gallons of wort!

Old 01-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #6
darth5aint
Recipes 

Yeah space isnt a problem in my kitchen as my stove has nothing above it and plenty of counter space to either side. Just the heating ability of my stove im just doubtful of. Is a 7.5 or 10 gal kettle usually wide enough to span over two burners

Old 01-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
temple240
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My 9 gal bayou classic kettle just barely spans two burners but sizes vary so you should measure your own burners. I use two 9k btu gas burners to get 7gal boiling in about an hour with the lid on. Keep in mind that an oversized boil kettle will lose more heat and make it harder to achieve a boil.

Quick Reply