Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > upgrade advice....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
storytyme
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default upgrade advice....

I know there are a ton of posts out there for burners and kettles.....I just don't have the time to go through all of them. I will keep this simple. I want to upgrade my turkey fryer partial 5 gallon boils to full boil 5 gallon batches. I want a kettle with a valve to eliminate the lifting and I need a new burner and stand so it is high enough to feed into my fermenter easily. Budget isn't a concern right now...just need ideas. Looking forward to the replies......I appreciate this site and everyone that is on it. Thank you in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Blickmann burner hands down there. Get the longer legs if you need/want. You have options on the kettle. You can either get one of several pre-made versions make/models or build a keggle. I've gone through a BoilerMaker, and two other kettles (I made both of those) before moving to a keggle. If you only want to buy one pre-made then you need to look at the ones available. I will mention that, contrary to normal cooking, tri-ply bottoms are of not much benefit to us. Look at the 10 gallon offerings, 15 gallon too if you think you'll ever want to have more post boil. Just be sure that the kettle is of solid construction. If there's a LHBS near you that has some, at least on display, check them out in person. If it feels light, or flimsy, discard it as an option.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
dfess1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 79

If budget is no concern, get the blichman burner with extension legs and a blichman pot. You're done. If budget is a concern, there are many alternatives.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
jCOSbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The bayou classic SP50 has taller legs and is about $70 online. The shorter models SQ14 and SP10 are about $50.

Keep in mind that your larger 10 gallon kettle full volume boil will likely need equipment to chill the wort from boiling to yeast pitching temps. Immersion Chiller, Counter flow chiller and plate chiller are common solutions. If you use a pump with the chiller then the burner height is no longer an issue.

On they low end you can get a thick AL kettle for $40 and add a valve. On the high end you can spend >$300 on a bilchman SS Kettle.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jCOSbrew View Post
The bayou classic SP50 has taller legs and is about $70 online. The shorter models SQ14 and SP10 are about $50.

Keep in mind that your larger 10 gallon kettle full volume boil will likely need equipment to chill the wort from boiling to yeast pitching temps. Immersion Chiller, Counter flow chiller and plate chiller are common solutions. If you use a pump with the chiller then the burner height is no longer an issue.

On they low end you can get a thick AL kettle for $40 and add a valve. On the high end you can spend >$300 on a bilchman SS Kettle.
Actually, height is still a concern. You need to have the pump head lower than the valve in the kettle/keggle so that it primes the pump before you turn it on. Also, the OP wants to be able to run the cooled wort directly into the fermenting vessel with the kettle still on the burner.

A quick search, and read of reviews of the SP50 (on Amazon) would give me serious pause IF I was looking at one. Plus, it's shorter than the Blichmann with the longer legs (24" legs).

If you want to purchase a burner that you'll NEVER need to replace, get the Blichmann. I wish I had gotten one first, instead of the Bayou KAB4.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #6
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 313 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I use a bayou classic double burner stove...it has adjustable legs and I can put two 60qt kettles on it at the same time. Its been a workhorse for 4 years, no complaints...they even have awesome customer service as it tipped over once (my fault 100%) broke a brass gas piece and Bayou replaced it for free with the knowledge it was my fault it broke, they even tossed in two of the parts so now I have a backup. As for kettles, I have pieced them together over the years and done my own work to install the ball valves and site glasses. I don't own a blichmann kettle and don't plan on it for two reasons, cost and they don't have an aluminum bottom plate like many SS kettles due, which I prefer for various reasons. I am building an electric rig right now and I will be buying a MoreBeer heavy duty kettle for my mashtun when its time to give up the coolers...I would recommend taking a look at those as an option.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:32 AM   #7
storytyme
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thank you for the replies. As far as the Blichmann I know it is the best of the best, but right now it is not realistic for the bank account. I am not using any pumps nor do I want to at this time. Just want a solid kettle to do a FULL boil for a 5 gallon batch and a tall enough burner that I can attach a hose to the ball valve and let it run into the carboy. I do have a wort chiller already. Any other ideas on something between a newbie turkey fryer set-up and the Blichmann dream set-up?? Thanks.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:41 AM   #8
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Are you handy? Do you either have, or have friends with some pretty basic tools (good drill, right angle grinder or even saws-all)?? If so, see about making a keggle. Simple ball valve and dip tube assembly can be made for not a lot of money. Cheaper with brass hardware, better (but a few dollars more) with a stainless ball valve. Biggest items are getting the keg, then cutting/drilling it.

Otherwise, if you at least have (or have access to) a decent drill, go to a restaurant supply store and get a 40qt aluminum stock pot. Drill that and install the ball valve and dip tube assembly. Probably run you under $100 for the kettle that way.

Fermenting
K1:

Old 12-07-2012, 01:48 AM   #9
storytyme
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I am pretty handy and could do that for sure. Wouldn't a 5 gallon full boil batch be a little crazy to do in a 15 gal keggle??

Old 12-07-2012, 01:54 AM   #10
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by storytyme View Post
I am pretty handy and could do that for sure. Wouldn't a 5 gallon full boil batch be a little crazy to do in a 15 gal keggle??
Not really, since you'll start off with at least 6-7 gallons. Just means you're "future proofing" your kettle.

If you were within driving distance of me, I'd offer to help you out. I have a legit source for the base kegs. Plus, I have the tools to make my own dip tubes. So no worries about ordering the wrong one.

Fermenting
K1:

Quick Reply