Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > unorthodox bottling methods

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2008, 09:16 AM   #21
TheFlatline
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scinerd3000 View Post
so how exactly would you "safely" pressure test this? dry ice possibly?
Nah. Best way IMHO is to get a nice little airtight plug in one of those babies as a "test vessel" that you accept is going to die. Mount your CO2 hose in the airtight plug, and put the jug into a metal box or very *stout* wood that you know could handle shrapnel, or whatever it takes (though I'd imagine a metal trashcan/paint bucket would do fine).

You *SLOWLY* start to add pressure. Stop if you get to what, 30 PSI or whatever the pressure in your bottles would be. If they explode before then, you know how much pressure your design can take.

Also, even if they don't take a lot of bottle pressure, filling one up from a keg tap and then serving (or drinking) out of it would be farkin' groovin'. I'd be down for one of those just to drink out of while I blacksmith:

How much would you charge for a good porcelain jug? Both one that could stopper up and one that couldn't? I might have business for you. Private message me if you want to talk off list.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2008, 01:16 PM   #22
Ninjaneer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scinerd3000 View Post
so how exactly would you "safely" pressure test this? dry ice possibly?
hah... I was thinking air compressor + pressure gauge + safety goggles + lab coat... Put the pot in a cardboard box and find the 'blow up' pressure, then just assume that everything 10 or 20psi under that is about safe.

Primary: Empty

Kegged: "The Irish Redheaded Hefeweizen Stepchild"

Bottled: "Cyrus Harding's Union Reserve" -- a Russian Imperial Stout, Engineering's first beer.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:23 PM   #23
Ninjaneer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlatline View Post
Nah. Best way IMHO is to get a nice little airtight plug in one of those babies as a "test vessel" that you accept is going to die. Mount your CO2 hose in the airtight plug, and put the jug into a metal box or very *stout* wood that you know could handle shrapnel, or whatever it takes (though I'd imagine a metal trashcan/paint bucket would do fine).

You *SLOWLY* start to add pressure. Stop if you get to what, 30 PSI or whatever the pressure in your bottles would be. If they explode before then, you know how much pressure your design can take.
How much would you charge for a good porcelain jug? Both one that could stopper up and one that couldn't? I might have business for you. Private message me if you want to talk off list.
Hey, didn't see this one -- but yeah, exactly my plan. Sacrifice one for the good of the swarm. I imagine they'll be able to take quite a bit of pressure. Porcelain is hard schtuff.

cool picture.

I've never really sold stuff before so I'll have to just keep track of costs and decide what's fair for labor. I'll PM you after work today (which I'm late to ).

You might wanna just drink out of a mug -- or stein though, right? is that what you meant by 'one that couldn't be stoppered?'

Bottled: "Cyrus Harding's Union Reserve" -- a Russian Imperial Stout, Engineering's first beer.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:43 PM   #24
TheFlatline
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Oh no I meant one of those kickass jugs. I have access to corks, and I'd just grab one. Not everything I drink is carbonated. I already have a 2 pint hardwood mug that has gotten me into so much drunk I can't begin to describe it, I'd love something a little more bombastic like the jug.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:51 PM   #25
Ninjaneer
Recipes 

I'm going home the first weekend of August to finish some pottery. I'll try and pour the moulds and then give you a quote on what the materials'll cost once I have a better idea of how inexpensively I can produce.

And I'd of course part with the original jug for a song more than the duplicates.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:56 AM   #26
mew
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Next project: Porcelain Conical!

Old 07-28-2008, 01:32 AM   #27
Plan9
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I want to see the plans for the "Steampunk Kegerator" you mentioned.

Central Florida Home Brewers

http://twitter.com/PlanNine

Old 08-02-2008, 02:22 AM   #28
Keating
Recipes 

Sorta...
fill it with water, plug it and attach air or CO2 line.
submerge it in a tub of water and pressurize.
when it finally breaks, you'll just get a couple broken pieces drifting to the bottom of the tub of water.
No explosion, no shrapnel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlatline View Post

Old 08-03-2008, 02:57 PM   #29
Ninjaneer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keating View Post
Sorta...
fill it with water, plug it and attach air or CO2 line.
submerge it in a tub of water and pressurize.
when it finally breaks, you'll just get a couple broken pieces drifting to the bottom of the tub of water.
No explosion, no shrapnel.

good idea! far less excitement that way... and also less potential to get a pointy piece of clay in your eye.

Old 08-03-2008, 03:27 PM   #30
Pete08
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Rogue Brewing in Oregon has a couple of H.G beers that are released in limited numbers in similiar type bottles, although I believe they had flip tops. Cool idea!

Quick Reply