New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Universal Stopper with 2 Drilled Holes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 11:26 PM   #1
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Universal Stopper with 2 Drilled Holes

I've been searching for a commercially available carboy stopper that has 2 drilled holes: one for a thermowell and another for an airlock. I either have very poor Google skills, or this is a product that isn't readily available from online homebrew supply stores.

I've seen a couple of threads discussing adding a 2nd hole by using a piece of sharpened tubing as a drill bit on a drill press, but I don't have a drill press handy or a piece of tubing with the correct OD. It would be great to find a universal type stopper with 2 holes, but I'd settle for a classic #6.5 rubber stopper. Has anyone seen these available for sale online?

In case you're wondering, a carboy cap will not work for my purposes. I want to use it in the top of my conical fermentor so that I can monitor temperature inside while allowing for an airlock/blowoff.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 03:07 AM   #2
zzARzz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This place has 2-hole lab grade stoppers: http://www.hometrainingtools.com/stoppers/c/126/

Old 11-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
lactardjosh
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'm looking to do the same thing. I've read that freezing the stopper before drilling will make it easier to drill. I also don't have a drill press, so I am planning on figuring out the best way to clamping the stopper down and then going freehand. I bought a couple solid stoppers in case I screw it up. Just waiting on the stainless tubing that I ordered to arrive.

Quote:
This place has 2-hole lab grade stoppers: http://www.hometrainingtools.com/stoppers/c/126/
The holes in these stoppers are only 5mm. I suppose you could drill these out to the size you need.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
microbusbrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Morebeer makes them. You won't be able to get them cold enough in a regular freezer to drill them.

http://morebeer.com/view_product/16672//Stopper_Thermowell

Old 11-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
lactardjosh
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I want to freeze it in my chest freezer, which sits at around -10°F normally.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #6
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I drilled some for transferring beer into and out of barrels with counter CO2 pressure. I have a drill press but I'm sure you could do it without. It's much easier than you think, you don't have to freeze it, mine were room temp. I used dish soap and water as a lubricant. Drill slowly and don't let it get hot, remove the bit every 1/4" or so to cool it with water. It doesn't take much pressure if the tubing is sharp. I used a file and then sand paper on the tubing. I cut a piece off the stainless raking cane to make it.

Next: Oktoberfest
Fermenting: CAP, Rye Berliner Weisse, Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: 1830's Mild, Rye Session IPA, Lambic, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS v1 & v2
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Wee-Heavy, Tripel

Old 11-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #7
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lactardjosh View Post
The holes in these stoppers are only 5mm. I suppose you could drill these out to the size you need.
Yeah, that's too small and drilling out is what I was trying to avoid in the first place given the issues I've seen other people come across in attempting to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbusbrewery View Post
Morebeer makes them. You won't be able to get them cold enough in a regular freezer to drill them.

http://morebeer.com/view_product/16672//Stopper_Thermowell
It looks like MoreBeer only sells them with the thermowell, which I do not need. Maybe I can get them to sell me some without the thermowell?

Old 11-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #8
ocluke
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstar26t View Post
I drilled some for transferring beer into and out of barrels with counter CO2 pressure. I have a drill press but I'm sure you could do it without. It's much easier than you think, you don't have to freeze it, mine were room temp. I used dish soap and water as a lubricant. Drill slowly and don't let it get hot, remove the bit every 1/4" or so to cool it with water. It doesn't take much pressure if the tubing is sharp. I used a file and then sand paper on the tubing. I cut a piece off the stainless raking cane to make it.
If I get to a point where I have to fabricate them myself, I'll definitely take your advice and follow your process. Can I ask if an airlock fits snugly inside your drilled hole? Also, is the hole quite smooth, or are there little nicks and tears where bacteria can hang out?

That said, I'd still like to find a source to purchase them considering we're talking about a $1-$2 item and I don't have to hack up my racking cane to pull it off.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #9
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

The bore can be quite smooth if you're careful. I boil them before use anyway.

Next: Oktoberfest
Fermenting: CAP, Rye Berliner Weisse, Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: 1830's Mild, Rye Session IPA, Lambic, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS v1 & v2
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Wee-Heavy, Tripel

Old 11-13-2012, 06:42 PM   #10
microbusbrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocluke

Yeah, that's too small and drilling out is what I was trying to avoid in the first place given the issues I've seen other people come across in attempting to do so.

It looks like MoreBeer only sells them with the thermowell, which I do not need. Maybe I can get them to sell me some without the thermowell?
They have them without the thermowell too, http://morebeer.com/view_product/16654//Stopper_-_%2365_Drilled_1_3_8%22_hole_and_1_1_4%22_hole

They claim they use liquid nitrogen to freeze them before drilling

Quick Reply