TxBrew
Der Administrator
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1705 Times on 564 Posts
Likes Given: 853

Default Ultra Cleaning

I loaned a glass carboy to a friend awhile back. I need it so I went over this morning and got it out of his storage. Apparently he used as some sort of fish experiment or something. He got deployed so I'm not 100% sure what he did with it but there is a collection of thick algae and black/white mold caked in it now. Smells god awful.

I'm not sure what he did with it. Since I don't know should I just not use it or try to clean anyways? If he put some harmful chemicals in it should a really thorough cleaning be able to get rid of most everything?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2009, 05:04 PM   #2
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

They store all kinds of nasty nasty things in glass due
to it's ability to not take them up or react.

I'd say you're fine with a THOROUGH cleaning.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:21 PM   #3
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Definitely needs an oxyclean soak.... I've heard of several people that use the acid carboys that Chem departments get filled with hydrochloric acid.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 01-28-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Start with a good long soak with PBW at recommended concentrations. We're talking, several days. Also use a carboy brush to scrub as much crud off as you can mechanically. Scrub again a few times day. After a few days, scrub really well and dump it. If there's still crap in there, do another PBW soak with a new solution. I don't know of too many things that can withstand that barrage.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 01-28-2009, 05:26 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Do you have a jet bottle/carboy washer? I would use that along with the oxyclean or PBW soak to make sure water pressure helps blow anything out of there. Also if it smells bad after consider soaking in water and bakingsoda as well.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-28-2009, 05:41 PM   #6
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

very warm water, oxiclean(and add a couple of drops of manual dish detergent with initial soak) or PBW, and manual agitation. Repeat several times. That glass will come clean with out any adverse side effects.

Oxiclean is only active for a few hours at best, so you'll need to repeat more often with Oxiclean.
PBW contains Sodium Metasilicate(liquid glass) and as such likes to bond to/etch glass if allowed to dry on those surfaces. Be sure to give a good rinse to ensure all metasilicate is rinsed.

Quick Reply