Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > uh-oh?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
shufflethenhit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default uh-oh?

This is a dubbel that has been fermenting for a couple weeks now, every time I have checked it the beer looks clear abs today

forumrunner_20121126_121231.jpg   forumrunner_20121126_121245.jpg   forumrunner_20121126_121302.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #2
shufflethenhit
Recipes 

Accidentally sent it prematurely haha today When I looked, this is what I have! Surprise! It smells good still but looks gross. The white things look kind if like plumbers tape. I don't see anything hairy really, just a couple bubbles here and there. Should I be concerned? I haven't had a infection yet and don't want to ruin my streak!

Old 11-27-2012, 12:32 AM   #3
snevey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 15

When it comes time, I would sanitize ALL my equipment, and use some sanitized device to poke a "hole" in that mess and rack out from under it. I had something like this on a Moktoberfest that I made and I racked from under it. It turned out to be one of my best beers ever...

BUT, ANYTHING that touches this batch should be cleaned with oxyclean, sanitized with a 1:10 bleach/water sanitizer, rinsed VERY well, and then use some Starsan or whatever it is that is your sanitizer of choice. If possible, I would also replace any plastic tubing and any plastic that is cheap to replace.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:41 AM   #4
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 272 Posts
Likes Given: 146

It looks like plastic "flakes" from the bucket, or solidified fat. Strange. I'd say fish out a piece with a sanitized tool and check it out (taste it).

Old 11-27-2012, 01:23 AM   #5
SirJoshuaIV
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I had a brown ale turn out like this once. It was perfectly fine one day, and the next it looked like that. There were some white chunks, not quite as well defined as what yours looks like though. I hate scrapping any beer I have brewed, so I racked from under it, and left a good amount in the fermenter just to not take any of the nasties. It turned out to be a pretty decent beer. Had I not brewed the beer, I never would have known it was infected based on taste. I say taste it and carbonate it up if the sample tastes ok.

Quick Reply