Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Ugly junk 2012, Ghetto Lagering Chamber

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2012, 01:24 PM   #11
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2017 Times on 1449 Posts
Likes Given: 1100

Looks good!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4341 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Looks good!
No it looks bad- that's the point!

Great pictures and write up- thanks!

Old 02-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #13
badnewsblair
Recipes 

Great stuff Revvy! I have been wondering what I could use as an inexpensive thermowell. I checked at my local Home Depot and Rona but the only rigid supply lines I could find were chrome plated copper. Does anyone know if there are any concerns with having this in the fermenter for extended periods of time?

Old 02-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #14
Paul07293
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 21

That's pretty badass. I've been ready to pull the trigger on some kind of heated fermentation chamber to get me through the cold months. With something like this I wouldn't have to hump my full carboys up a flight of stairs. Thanks for sharing.

"I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer."- Homer Simpson

Old 02-27-2012, 10:45 PM   #15
40watt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 25

So Revvy, can I tell you why I love you? I have been digging through hundreds of pages of eBay controller threads. You are the first person to post a wiring diagram I can read and understand. I am confused on wiring my stir plate. So that is really quite a feat.

I can't thank you enough.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:52 PM   #16
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40watt View Post
So Revvy, can I tell you why I love you? I have been digging through hundreds of pages of eBay controller threads. You are the first person to post a wiring diagram I can read and understand. I am confused on wiring my stir plate. So that is really quite a feat.

I can't thank you enough.
Thanks, I had the same issues with most of the other ones on here as well. I was pmming several people showing them the ones I was confused by. I finally had to just do it for myself..I just figured it's because I'm too dumb to read a "correct" one, that I had to do one in my own "Idiot Language" glad to know it was helpful.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-27-2012, 10:59 PM   #17
40watt

Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Thanks, I had the same issues with most of the other ones on here as well. I was pmming several people showing them the ones I was confused by. I finally had to just do it for myself..I just figured it's because I'm too dumb to read a "correct" one, that I had to do one in my own "Idiot Language" glad to know it was helpful.
Lol. I'm going to assume that one of the benefits of being experienced with electrical work, is being able to scribble a diagram on a napkin, and feel like that should be sufficient.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #18
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I thought I'd update this to show how I've finally figured out how to seal my ghetto thermowell. I really wasn't too keen on the bend and fold method.

Basically I fill the bottom with 100% silicone for aquariums which is food safe, then seal it with some tinfoil and paint on some more silicone over the tinfoil to seal it.

This is from my ghetto sous-vide cooker.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-01-2012, 11:42 PM   #19
Ravenshead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Did you have any problems with the bend and fold t-wells? That looked like it would work fine to me as long as you didn't hammer it so hard it cracked. I also don't see why you couldn't use copper feed line as well.

[QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polorl69 View Post
I had no problems whatsoever getting my pee to ferment.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:58 PM   #20
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1003 Times on 617 Posts
Likes Given: 2673

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenshead View Post
Did you have any problems with the bend and fold t-wells? That looked like it would work fine to me as long as you didn't hammer it so hard it cracked. I also don't see why you couldn't use copper feed line as well.
I've read that copper and fermenting beer don't mix very well..

Quick Reply