Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > U-Haul Propane

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
JVD_X
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default U-Haul Propane

I took my propane tanks in for refills at the local u-haul instead of exchanging them for new Blue Rhino tanks. Best part was actually being there when they refilled them so you can see they were not ripping you off. The machine automatically stops.

I paid $2.95 a gallon but I noticed that if you do a search for propane stations on u-haul's site the price difference between locations was substantial. While most were only charging a slight premium, one u-haul was charging 4.55 a gallon.

Propane weighs 4.2 pounds per gallon, so a 20 pound rhino tank should hold about 4.74 gallons of propane. At $2.95 a gallon that is $13.98 - which is at least $5 less than exchanging a tank. PLUS - it turns out there was a little bit of propane left in the tank, so I paid even less overall.

- JVD_X

Reason: spelling

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2009, 07:46 PM   #2
RDWHAHB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sometimes I'll go to the U-haul to have mine filled. Especially if I have multiple to fill. I am kinda terrified that the moron there is going to blow the whole place up. I am fully terrified of his plumber's ass. Sometimes it's just easier to get bent over by the exchange, rather than watch him bend over.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:51 PM   #3
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'd much rather pay a gas station, farm supply store, or U Haul to fill my propane at a reasonable cost than get ripped off at a tank exchange. Although I wish I would have came up with the concept of the tank exchange so I could rip people off

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:15 PM   #4
lazybean
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You can also get a Bigger tank. i have a tank from a fork lift (dual taps) that holds 40lbs. That way you only have to refill 1/2 as much.

A quick search to find some, shows they start around $128.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:15 PM   #5
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I also use U-haul. you only pay for the gas they put in the tank. if you do a tank exchange, you loose any left in the tank. You also get a full fill this way (your tank will have 20# in it when you leave, and it is a far better price. If one of my tanks is empty, I will get both topped off.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:20 PM   #6
JVD_X

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybean View Post
You can also get a Bigger tank. i have a tank from a fork lift (dual taps) that holds 40lbs. That way you only have to refill 1/2 as much.

I am also looking into just getting a huge ass tank and use our local propane company to come by. I brew out in my detached garage that I have no ability to get natural gas or additional electric run into without some serious coinage. I would like to be able to heat it to a reasonable temp during the winter - like maybe 55F... which is still cold but at least not freezing. I will be warm enough to store my banana trees as well.

- JVD_X

Old 10-15-2009, 10:20 PM   #7
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybean View Post

I paid $80 for a 30lb tank at TechAir 26 $ to fill up . The 100lb was $189 I just didnt think it would be a good idea transporting the tank around.

And a 20lb wont take 20lbs anymore I think it will stop between 18-18.5 lbs anyway as the opd kicks in place I go sells by the gallon so I just pay for what goes in .

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 10-15-2009, 10:28 PM   #8
shortyjacobs
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hrm....

I pay 17 to exchange a 17 lb tank at Menards.

When I had them filled, I'd have to drive all over hells half acre, (half the places won't fill in winter, jerks), and it would cost me around 20 bucks for 19 lbs.

I really don't see how exchanges are a rip off....just get them from a big hardware store like Menards, not from your local Holiday, (they'll rip you off).

Plus I have a tank for my burner and one for my grill, so if one ever runs out, I have a second...

Old 10-15-2009, 10:31 PM   #9
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyjacobs View Post
Hrm....

I pay 17 to exchange a 17 lb tank at Menards.

When I had them filled, I'd have to drive all over hells half acre, (half the places won't fill in winter, jerks), and it would cost me around 20 bucks for 19 lbs.

I really don't see how exchanges are a rip off....just get them from a big hardware store like Menards, not from your local Holiday, (they'll rip you off).

Plus I have a tank for my burner and one for my grill, so if one ever runs out, I have a second...
Blue rhino and Amerigas say right on them filled with 15 lbs and they charge 19$ shorting you by 3 lbs .

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 10-15-2009, 10:34 PM   #10
JVD_X

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I all likelihood prices for propane depend on your location, just like gas. Here in NOVA, $17.95 is the absolutely minimum I have seen for exchanges and they are often out. Plus, you only get 15 pounds in a 20 pound tank. Even if you only go up to 18.5 pound max as a previous poster pointed out, that is enough difference in two tanks for an additional brew!

I travel a lot for work and have noticed how incredibly cheap everything is between ohio and denver... forget about MN... I was up there for work last winter and could still get a mcdonalds lunch for less than $6... here it is close to $9.

- JVD_X

Quick Reply