The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Turning cooler jug into carboy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2008, 05:15 AM   #1
ericd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Turning cooler jug into carboy

You can get a 3 or 5 gallon cooler jug for under $10, is it a good idea to use one as a fermentation vessel? What do you need to buy to do it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2008, 05:29 AM   #2
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts

I dont think it's a good idea. You need something that you can control much easier. You should buy a carboy if you can find one for cheap. Otherwise you should get a Better Bottle. There are a gonzo million threads on here listing the merits of each. IMHO, either will brew better beer than I can find on a shelf. Just buy a carboy of some sort, glass or plastic, and catch some advise on here and you'll make better beer for cheaper than you'd ever excpect.

What's tappening? :D

Old 07-31-2008, 05:34 AM   #3
BrothersTrout
Recipes 

Yeah, I would probably recommend against it too. I doubt you'd ever be able to get a cooler air-tight, which is really important. Also, with the exception of the special plastic used in Better Bottles, most plastic is oxygen permeable, could hold tastes and odors, and stains.

Keep an eye on Craigslist in your area. I've gotten several carboys for $15 on Craigslist, in addition to my legendary $250 buy that included 8 carboys (4x6.5, 4x5), 5 cases of bottles, CO2 tank/regulator, 2 corny kegs, etc etc etc...

Good luck, bud!

EDIT: Oh, wait, a water cooler bottle? Oh! Well, that makes more sense than an insulated cooler like I was picturing... Nevermind!

Last edited by BrothersTrout; 07-31-2008 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Lightbulb Went Off

Old 07-31-2008, 05:44 AM   #4
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

#10 stopper and an airlock.

Check out Revvy's latest Rant about this before you do it. My advise is do what I say and not what I do, as I regularly use #1 PET Deep Rock Bottles for Apfelwein...but you could go blind and have your Tallywacker fall off.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost...6&postcount=11

Quick Reply