The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Tun Options... I'm Torn

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 527 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Default Tun Options... I'm Torn

I'm torn on choosing a tun.

I have a keggle BK currently. I may go with a sculpture some day, who knows. I do mostly 5 gallon extract full-boil batches right now, but am eyeing 10 gallon all-grain batches. And I'm having trouble chosing my tun, knowing that I need probably at least 50 qts to be happy. For now, I know I want to be able to do at least 10 gallons of 1.074 AG.

I own what I calculate to be about a 52-quart rectangular cooler that I could covert. Or my HBSS has some pre-made round cooler tuns I could buy. Or NB has one on sale today. Or I could buy a 100 qt and convert it. Or I could go Keg MLT.

I've read tons of threads, and I'm no closer to choosing. This is very rare for me to find it so hard to choose. Can anybody provide insight, or possibly, regret into their decision and how they feel about it now? That'd really help me choose.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 02:56 AM   #2
D-MOTITAN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Use your rectangular cooler. I do 10 gallon batches in mine with a cvpvc manifold in it. I am welding together a brew stand as we speak. Its nice to still brew while i work on my sculpture. There is a ton of threads on here to do it on the cheap and i hit over 80% efficiency on batch sparge with it.

unta gleeben glouten globen.......Def Leopard

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply