Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Tubing Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
smyrnaquince
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Tubing Question

I need some 1/2" ID tubing to drain from a fermenter to a bottling bucket. I happen to have some clear vinyl tubing of the right size and length that I bought some years ago from Home Depot or a hardware store, but never used. The paper tag on the roll says:

Use for:
- Low pressure
- Food/Water Uses
- Do not use with icemakers

Can I use this tubing? Is the standard tubing from the LHBS plastic instead of vinyl? The reason I ask is that there is a bit of a vinyl smell to the tubing and I don't want to have a vinyl taste in my beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
scruffymmh
Recipes 

I used vinyl tubing for a few years. I had the same concern about the vinyl smell/taste so I boiled it for a few mins in water, and didn't have vinyl taste in my beer. I believe that the tubing carried by local homebrew shops typically is vinyl, and a lot of brewers use vinyl.

That said, I would recommend purchasing food-grade silicone tubing (from, e.g. McMaster-Carr). It's more flexible and in my opinion is easier to work with, in general. One additional benefit for me is that it made my siphoning much easier because it created a better seal at the neck of my racking cane. I'll prob never go back to vinyl tubing.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 914 Times on 609 Posts
Likes Given: 26

The reason I use vinyl tubing for cold transfers is due to how cheap it is. I use it maybe 5 times and throw it away.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 05-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
scruffymmh
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
The reason I use vinyl tubing for cold transfers is due to how cheap it is. I use it maybe 5 times and throw it away.
I purchased .5" ID from Mcmaster-Carr for 1.82 per foot. I reuse my tubing and have no plans to dispose of it unless it breaks, so I'm comfortable with the $10-$15 investment if it saves me the hassle of vinyl.

To answer the OP's question about if that vinyl is the kind to use, I would say that it is, because it's food safe.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyrnaquince View Post
I need some 1/2" ID tubing to drain from a fermenter to a bottling bucket. I happen to have some clear vinyl tubing of the right size and length that I bought some years ago from Home Depot or a hardware store, but never used. The paper tag on the roll says:

Use for:
- Low pressure
- Food/Water Uses
- Do not use with icemakers

Can I use this tubing? Is the standard tubing from the LHBS plastic instead of vinyl? The reason I ask is that there is a bit of a vinyl smell to the tubing and I don't want to have a vinyl taste in my beer.
The 1/2" vinyl tubing will work just fine. I've been using similar tubing for a very long time without any problems at all. The caution against using it for ice makers is that it will not withstand water line pressure which are typically 60-70 psi IIRC. You would want to use the semi-rigid 1/4" OD poly tubing for that application as it can withstand the high pressure.

Quick Reply