Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Tubing Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
smyrnaquince
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Tubing Question

I need some 1/2" ID tubing to drain from a fermenter to a bottling bucket. I happen to have some clear vinyl tubing of the right size and length that I bought some years ago from Home Depot or a hardware store, but never used. The paper tag on the roll says:

Use for:
- Low pressure
- Food/Water Uses
- Do not use with icemakers

Can I use this tubing? Is the standard tubing from the LHBS plastic instead of vinyl? The reason I ask is that there is a bit of a vinyl smell to the tubing and I don't want to have a vinyl taste in my beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
scruffymmh
Recipes 

I used vinyl tubing for a few years. I had the same concern about the vinyl smell/taste so I boiled it for a few mins in water, and didn't have vinyl taste in my beer. I believe that the tubing carried by local homebrew shops typically is vinyl, and a lot of brewers use vinyl.

That said, I would recommend purchasing food-grade silicone tubing (from, e.g. McMaster-Carr). It's more flexible and in my opinion is easier to work with, in general. One additional benefit for me is that it made my siphoning much easier because it created a better seal at the neck of my racking cane. I'll prob never go back to vinyl tubing.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The reason I use vinyl tubing for cold transfers is due to how cheap it is. I use it maybe 5 times and throw it away.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 05-23-2011, 03:42 PM   #4
scruffymmh
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
The reason I use vinyl tubing for cold transfers is due to how cheap it is. I use it maybe 5 times and throw it away.
I purchased .5" ID from Mcmaster-Carr for 1.82 per foot. I reuse my tubing and have no plans to dispose of it unless it breaks, so I'm comfortable with the $10-$15 investment if it saves me the hassle of vinyl.

To answer the OP's question about if that vinyl is the kind to use, I would say that it is, because it's food safe.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyrnaquince View Post
I need some 1/2" ID tubing to drain from a fermenter to a bottling bucket. I happen to have some clear vinyl tubing of the right size and length that I bought some years ago from Home Depot or a hardware store, but never used. The paper tag on the roll says:

Use for:
- Low pressure
- Food/Water Uses
- Do not use with icemakers

Can I use this tubing? Is the standard tubing from the LHBS plastic instead of vinyl? The reason I ask is that there is a bit of a vinyl smell to the tubing and I don't want to have a vinyl taste in my beer.
The 1/2" vinyl tubing will work just fine. I've been using similar tubing for a very long time without any problems at all. The caution against using it for ice makers is that it will not withstand water line pressure which are typically 60-70 psi IIRC. You would want to use the semi-rigid 1/4" OD poly tubing for that application as it can withstand the high pressure.

Quick Reply