Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Trying to use less star-san

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 01:31 AM   #1
SDBreWs0624
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Trying to use less star-san

Hello, I have a question I'm trying to use less "star-san". I use "star-san for everything when I brew. From sanitizing the primary fermenter, wort chiller, brew pot, hydrometer, and ect. Using five gallons water, one ounce of "star-san". Then to secondary fermentation five gallon glass carboy, five gallon plastic bucket, my racking cane-siphon hose, and ect. Last too my keg same set up, as going to secondary. All three step use about fiifth teen gallons of water, and three ounce of "star-san". Just tring to find different sanitizar no rinse preferably, or better methhod than i am doing now. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 01:35 AM   #2
Dirty25
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I use star San for a month or so before i toss it out. That will sanitize 3 kegs, primaries, secondaries, and racking canes. That is a good deal on 1oz of star san

Old 12-19-2012, 01:36 AM   #3
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I mix up 2.5 gallons of Star San on brew day and just cover the bucket for using it later too. Sounds like you're using the solution one time and dumping it. Not needed. It's effective for longer than that. You also do NOT need to fill vessels with it. 2-3 quarts is plenty to sanitize your vessels (fermenting). Just cap the sucker and swirl it around to fully coat the inside. For the small bits, submerge what you can in a bucket. For the racking cane, get a wallpaper tray and put Star San in there to submerge it. Done. Get a quart spray bottle (<$3 at HD or Lowe's) and spray what you can't submerge.

Took me a LONG time to go through the last 16oz bottle of Star San by being smart. I've yet to open up the new one, but using about 1/2 oz per batch means I should easily go a full year on it.

You can either get some PH test strips to make sure the Star San solution is still effective, or wait until it's cloudy before tossing. Depending on your water, it could be cloudy right off the bat. I easily keep mine in a covered bucket for 3-4 weeks. Unless I've used it a LOT. Then it might go 2 weeks.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-19-2012, 01:37 AM   #4
kaconga
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Save and reuse your starsan. It is fine as long as the ph is below 3. Invest in cheap ph strips to make sure. If you use distilled water it will last a long time.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:37 AM   #5
captwalt
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I make 1 batch and use it for multiple batches. I mix up a batch in my primary and use that to sanitize everything. I empty it into another bucket, or bottling bucket, with lid on. When it's time to bottle I use this to sanitize the bottles and if necessary, the bottling bucket, as week ad every thing else. If I plan to brew again soon I empty it back into my fermenters with a lid in it and repeat the process.

Something to keep in mind though, you cannot sanitize dirty things so everything that goes into my santizer is already clean.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:39 AM   #6
mrstevenund
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Why are you mixing up 5 gallons at a time? You only need 30 seconds of "wet time," not submerged time to sanitize.

I only mix up 1-2 gallons when I do a primary/bottling bucket/keg using tap water. I also have a gallon mixed up with distilled that I keep in a spray bottle for spraying down the racking cane or other items.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:39 AM   #7
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstevenund View Post
Why are you mixing up 5 gallons at a time? You only need 30 seconds of "wet time," not submerged time to sanitize.

I only mix up 1-2 gallons when I do a primary/bottling bucket/keg using tap water. I also have a gallon mixed up with distilled that I keep in a spray bottle for spraying down the racking cane or other items.
Bottle calls out a full minute wet/contact time minimum...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-19-2012, 01:41 AM   #8
SDBreWs0624
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty25 View Post
I use star San for a month or so before i toss it out. That will sanitize 3 kegs, primaries, secondaries, and racking canes. That is a good deal on 1oz of star san
That was going to be my second question. I was wondering about how long star-san last long as you keep it clean. Do you just throw it in the kegs and ect, and let is sit? Or do you just use a little at a time?

Old 12-19-2012, 01:45 AM   #9
Transamguy77
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I mix up 5 gallons at a time also but keep it in a dedicated bucket and have used it for 3-4 months at a time. It lasts a long time.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:46 AM   #10
SDBreWs0624
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Guess i was just being overcautious, and wasting my money thats for sure. lol

Quick Reply