New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Trying to solve the carboy problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2009, 02:09 PM   #11
broadbill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 162

When we buy 1L jugs (basically growlers) of strong acids (hydrocloric, sulfuric) for the laboratory, they are frequently coated with a similar rubberized plastic coating...so you might be onto something here.

I don't think the coating will prevent breakage, but prevent glass being thrown everywhere and maybe slow leakage of the carboy contents.

Good luck...take pictures!

Old 07-29-2009, 03:28 PM   #12
Munsoned
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think this is a fantastic idea in response to a real danger that many homebrewers face every day. Only way to know if it will work is to try. If it does work, just think, this might become the next "must do item" on thousands of homebrewers todo lists. Putting my $$ where my mouth is: I'm going to try to search this stuff out and try a batch on a growler or some bottles or something. If I can find it and do it, I'll report back as (if nothing else it will be another data point). I'd do it on my 6.5 gallon glass carboy now, but it will be in use for the next year on my Flanders Red.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2009, 03:35 PM   #13
Munsoned
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This seems to imply that it will in fact "shatterproof" glass.

http://www.plastidip.com/docs/plasti%20dip%20new%20tech%20brochure%202-25-09.pdf

Old 07-29-2009, 03:52 PM   #14
mattmcl

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Damn! Now I'll have to do this, but it will cover up the gallon markings I painstakingly etched into each of my carboys...

Old 07-29-2009, 03:55 PM   #15
LandoCalrissian
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Subscribed.

I especially love the idea of opaque coating, with a slit left uncoated; the best of both worlds.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:04 PM   #16
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

I'll be following this closely. I've been shying away from glass for a while since I've heard so many horror stories.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:26 PM   #17
Munsoned
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmcl View Post
Damn! Now I'll have to do this, but it will cover up the gallon markings I painstakingly etched into each of my carboys...
Not sure how it will affect "shatterproofness" of the glass if areas are left unexposed, but couldn't you just cover up those etches with some painters tape to keep them intact?

Old 07-29-2009, 05:04 PM   #18
mattmcl

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Yeah, but that's a lot of work. I marked gallon, half gallon, and quart from 1 gallon through 6.5 (in once case through 7.5) on four carboys...

I'm just bitching and moaning.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:56 PM   #19
feedbag
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

At first I thought of doing the slit for a site gauge type idea. This would still provide alot of protection, but would cause a stress point that could still be broken. Opaque would be nice to solve the light problem, but I don't like the idea of not being able to see inside at all. When someone mentioned clear I did a quick search and plasti-dip does indeed make a clear rubber coating that is recommended for glass and it comes in the spray version! I'm going to Lowe's this weekend to pick up a can of the clear since I think that will be best. For anyone intersted in purchasing online, check this out. I will spray a couple of beer bottles and bust them to see how the glass reacts. My thoughts are it will be harder to break the glass and when it does it will hold like laminated glass on a car windshield. I will report back with pics once my experiment is rolling. Ya'll keep the ideas rolling too, this is really exciting.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:07 PM   #20
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munsoned View Post
This seems to imply that it will in fact "shatterproof" glass.

http://www.plastidip.com/docs/plasti%20dip%20new%20tech%20brochure%202-25-09.pdf
If you look at the website you can get it in a "Clear".

From the website:

NEW! Create Your Color Clear! Our new 22 oz. package utilizes the same redesigned container as the Create Your Color Kit and can be used as a clear dip coating or in combination with the specially formulated tints to create a multitude of colors for a multitude of projects.

Guy

Brewery URL: Black Dog Brewery NY

BBQ Team URL: Two Fat Polocks BBQ Team

Quick Reply