Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Trying to solve the carboy problem

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2009, 01:46 AM   #1
feedbag
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Trying to solve the carboy problem

So, there has been a lot of talk lately about breaking carboys and the dangers involved. I recently started a thread here about how I recently came across a cheap one and some people advised about dangers. That got me thinking, what if we coated a glass carboy with something like this on the outside. There's actually a pic on the website of glass bottles covered. I was thinking to make a carboy still effective and be able to see inside someone could tape of a 2 inch or so wide strip all the way down and be able to still see inside. This stuff will add a lot of strength, keep it from shattering into pieces if it did break, provide some cushioning, provide some insulation, and just make your carboy look cool and custom. What do you guys think? If it seems worth it I might try this and post about it with lots of pics.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:53 AM   #2
annasdadhockey
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Sounds cool, man. Give it a try and let us know what you think. I like the fact that it gives slip resistance, as carboys can get slippery when wet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
Things are going great too. I think I've only punched her in the face 3 times!
FERMENTING: Heady Topper Clone?
CONDITIONING: 40 gallons KBS clone in a Jim Beam Barrel (since 11/24/12)
DRINKING: Smoked Robust Porter, Orange Coriander Pale Ale #5
THINKING: first foray into lagers?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2009, 01:54 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

There's been a couple threads about this over the years, and they haven't really gone to far..

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/carboy-protector-12749/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/clea...arboys-119405/

I think it's a great idea, especially since it can also if you use the red, render the glass opague and protect the beer from light damage.

SO go for it and report back!!!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Newsman Likes This 
Old 07-29-2009, 02:00 AM   #4
Revvy

Recipes 

A lot of times these threads die on the vine, because no one actually tries it....you'll get a ton of speculation about why it won't work (half the time that from simple jealously, that it wasn't THEIR idea-that's the nature of the web.)

So realizing that our opinions are like a$$holes, just in the words of Nike..

Just do it!!!!

There is nothing wrong with your idea...you won't ruin your beer....so make it happen.

Then take pictures and report back, rather than waiting, having a bunch of speculators shoot it down and give up...It is a great idea is you wanna give up a carboy to experiment.

What I have found around here, is that if the person presents a completed project with pictures, everyone digs it....if it is a thread like this, (and like the two previosu) it etiher dies on the vine, or the idea gets shot down...

So make it happen and if it works it will become "canon" on here, like so many other ideas where the stuff actually gets done.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-29-2009, 02:13 AM   #5
enderwig

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

The idea is awesome, just keep in mind the logistics. Have you ever used plasti-dip? You are gonna need a way to hang the carboy upright until it dries, multiple times for 3 or 4 dips. If you can figure that out, you got it made!

Old 07-29-2009, 03:05 AM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Turn it upside down and place the neck in a coffee can or better yet a christmas tree strand to support it, and brush multiple coats of it on...you will go through a ton of brushes to paint with it (in other words you don't HAVE to just dip it) When I used to make bamboo flutes I would paint over the waxed upholstery string bindings with plasti dip....it's thick and rubbery but it can be painted on stuff...We also used to make drum mallets with it as well...again painting on rather dipping in....Heck I betcha those sponge paint applicators would work beautifully...in fact I might have even used those rather than brushes. It's been 10 years since I played with that stuff...but I very well believed I used foam applicators instead of brushes....no hair on the object that way.

IIRC we used gasoline to rinse the applicators and brushes out, and even dilute it a bit..but don't quote me on that part, google around to see what artists and craftsmen have done using that stuff....they will know how best to apply it in no traditional ways.....I am not sure if a cheap garden pump compression sparayer would work as a one off way to spray with it...but it might be worth investigating.

Newsman Likes This 
Old 07-29-2009, 09:38 AM   #7
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

You can buy Plasti-Dip in spray cans also. That may make it easier to coat your carboy.

Amazon.com: Plastic Dip Intl. 11209 Plasti-Dip Spray: Home Improvement

Guy

Brewery URL: Black Dog Brewery NY

BBQ Team URL: Two Fat Polocks BBQ Team

Newsman Likes This 
Old 07-29-2009, 11:48 AM   #8
feedbag
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
You can buy Plasti-Dip in spray cans also. That may make it easier to coat your carboy.

Amazon.com: Plastic Dip Intl. 11209 Plasti-Dip Spray: Home Improvement
Yeah, I saw the spray cans and that is the way I'm going to go. I was thinking about putting a pole in the ground and turning the carboy upside down over it and spraying as many coats as I can out of the can. If I can only find the brush on stuff I'm going to use Revvy's ideas of the foam brush, good tip. As far as testing the adhesion during a break, I don't really want to destroy my first and only carboy. I was thinking of just spraying a couple beer bottles, smashing them, and seeing how they hold together.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:43 PM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedbag View Post
Yeah, I saw the spray cans and that is the way I'm going to go. I was thinking about putting a pole in the ground and turning the carboy upside down over it and spraying as many coats as I can out of the can. If I can only find the brush on stuff I'm going to use Revvy's ideas of the foam brush, good tip. As far as testing the adhesion during a break, I don't really want to destroy my first and only carboy. I was thinking of just spraying a couple beer bottles, smashing them, and seeing how they hold together.
I didn't know they came out with it in spray form now...Like I said I haven't used it in prolly 10 years. I would try it first with multiple coats of the spray version..unless it is too thin and would require multiple cans of it, and if the cans were then pricey. I would then use the liquid and the foam brushes....

Old 07-29-2009, 01:52 PM   #10
Hound_Dog
Recipes 

If I can track this stuff down at home depot or lowes, I'll try it out on a growler to see how it works. Heck I might even do a few drop tests. Does anyone know if big box stores sell a clear coating like this? I'm sure I've seen rubberized coatings in color, but never a clear one.

My dog smells like PineSol and he insists on sitting on my lap.

Quick Reply