Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Trying to go all grain.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2011, 03:14 AM   #1
Zeal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Trying to go all grain.

I'm trying to go all grain and would prefer to start doing 10 gallon batches. I just recently got into the hobby, but I have already amassed a lot of equipment.

I have,
1 15.5 gallon brewpot
1 6.5 Gallon Glass carboy
2 6.5 Plastic fermentor
1 6.5 Plastic bottling bucket
and most other basic equipment.

I need a Mash-tun and would like to know what the ideal size would be for 10 gallon batches. I was thinking I would go with a rectangular cooler.

Also Would I need another brewpot? I figured I just could use one to heat my water and collect my runnings in two of my plastic buckets and transfer that into my brewpot after I empty the remaining sparge water. Also should I invest in a refractometer to monitor my runnings?

Opinions / Advise would be appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2011, 03:30 AM   #2
phidelt1499
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I have the 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler for a MT, it works great. I know several who use the rectangular cooler, it works great too. I do 5 gal batches, but for a big 10 gallon batch, you would probably need somewhere in the range of 20 gallons of MT space... the "can I mash it" calculator here (http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml) is a quick way to see how big of a MT you need

I currently use my electric keggle to heat mash/sparge water and collect wort runnings in another pot and transfer as you described. I eventually will build a HLT, but it works for now.

As far as refractometers go, if you have the cash, it would be a decent investment in terms of speed. I use my hydrometer to monitor SG and it works for me... I wouldn't think a refractometer is a need... just my $0.02

Old 09-20-2011, 03:35 AM   #3
Zeal
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phidelt1499 View Post
I have the 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler for a MT, it works great. I know several who use the rectangular cooler, it works great too. I do 5 gal batches, but for a big 10 gallon batch, you would probably need somewhere in the range of 20 gallons of MT space... the "can I mash it" calculator here (http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml) is a quick way to see how big of a MT you need

I currently use my electric keggle to heat mash/sparge water and collect wort runnings in another pot and transfer as you described. I eventually will build a HLT, but it works for now.

As far as refractometers go, if you have the cash, it would be a decent investment in terms of speed. I use my hydrometer to monitor SG and it works for me... I wouldn't think a refractometer is a need... just my $0.02
Thank you. I figured I could just transfer it wasn't sure though.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:42 AM   #4
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I use a converted round 10 gallon igloo drink cooler. It works well but I am planning on switching it out for a 15.5 gallon keg mash tun hopefully with an electric element, although if insulated properly I think it would hold temps just fine. I currently do the brew pot shuffle with sparge water and buckets, Soon I plan on fixing that. Really if you want bare-bones go with one pot and some buckets. I am 27 and poor so I don't mind lifting heavy crap so it works - if I were 60 I might consider a pump system and the proper number of vessels. If I could afford it I might get a more streamlined system just to help with brewdays.

I started with a brew kit with hydrometer, I found it so cumbersome to use I stopped. as a result I didn't keep records well. I bought a cheap ebay refractometer - although buying one from Bobby might be a better option as far as warranty etc, - and I love the thing. I can take readings on the fly, and its easy to keep around. I say buy one if you can afford it.

Also , try to develop some type of temperature control for your fermenting beer - it plays a great role in the final product - as does pitching proper amounts of yeast.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:50 AM   #5
Zeal
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningweird View Post
Also , try to develop some type of temperature control for your fermenting beer - it plays a great role in the final product - as does pitching proper amounts of yeast.
Yeah I learned both of these from extract brewing. My fermentor sits in front of an air conditioner in the summer, and since my house never drops below 68 in the winter I have pretty good control over it. Sure it's not the best, but I can't afford all the bells and whistles as of right now.

As far as yeast go I just started making starters for every batch.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:56 AM   #6
scotched
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

10 gallon batches are THE reason to do all-grain.

You don't necessarily need a second brew pot to collect runnings, but I'm thankful that I also have a 10 gallon kettle along with my 15 gallon kettle.

Why?

Because it saves money. My 10 gallon kettle will fit on my stove (across 2 burners), inside the house, whereas my 15 gallon is stuck outside (propane). It allows me to heat mash/sparge water in the 10 gallon for pennies, instead of wasting the propane I need for the boil. Propane is expensive where I live.

I chose a round MLT because it insulates better (less lid area to lose heat from + lid is insulated better)

Fermenting: Edwort's Wounded Knee IPA (no-chill), XH Limeade #3
Serving:
nada

Old 09-20-2011, 06:30 PM   #7
OneHoppyGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Making 5 gallon batch above 1.080 becomes a challenge with a 10 gallon Igloo based on my experience.
Why brew big beers? Why not...

Brewright. All Rights Reserved. We reserve the right to brew and to help you brew. To protect the brew and defend the brew. To make the brew and drink the brew.

BrewSteel.com
BrewSteel on Facebook

Quick Reply