Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Trub/Hop Filter from BrewersHardware

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2011, 11:57 AM   #81
Landshark67
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Just ordered one!

Saturday was my first stuck cfc situation. I got a little reckless with the hops in an IPA. Ended up transferring the beer into a sankey, lifting the sankey into a trash can (cleaned and sanitized) full of ice water. All is well with the beer but my lower back is FUBAR.

Ordered the hop filter on Monday!

Picks of my whole hop chute coming soon!

Brew on

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2011, 01:14 AM   #82
Mike3701
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would like to blame everyone in this thread for making me finally buy one. Now I can't wait to get it.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:57 PM   #83
amsped180
Recipes 

You will have 0 regrets! Just think about all that money you will save on muslin hop bags lol

Old 08-25-2011, 03:53 PM   #84
brewinginCO
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How would this work without a pump.

I use gravity to transfer wort from the brew kettle to carboy through a ball valve. Could I simply place this inline? I'm worried because some of the pictures look like it is quite full of hops and would take some serious pressure to move the wort through.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:09 PM   #85
amsped180
Recipes 

I think without a pump you would absolutely be fine on brews with only a few ounces of hops. Some of the higher hop usage styles may begin to present issues. I use mine after the BK but before my pump. I believe that once you get the flow going it begins to create a siphon which is further propelled by the pump. The siphon alone would probably be enough on the less hoppy beers

Old 09-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #86
microbusbrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike3701 View Post
I would like to blame everyone in this thread for making me finally buy one. Now I can't wait to get it.
Ditto for me. I'm finishing up my rebuild of my HERMS system. I'm upgrading from an IC to a 40 plate CFC from duda diesel but I hadn't put a ton of thought into a pre-CFC filter. After reading these posts and the tests on the brewershardware site, I ordered mine and I can't wait to try it out.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:15 PM   #87
amsped180
Recipes 

Your welcome, you won't be dissapointed!

Old 09-12-2011, 05:17 PM   #88
pola0502ds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmark50 View Post
I do not get any cavitation no matter the flow out of my pump since I have it before my filter. On Thurs I will brew another batch with close to 6 oz of pellet hops - I plan not to use a spider this time.

Here are some pics from my first brew with the filter.
Is it just me, or is this guy using the filter backwards? The trub should be on the outside of the filter not the inside. I confirmed that we derrin at brewers hardware.

After using this filter about 8-10 times now I am not pleased with it at all. I am working with derrin now to figure out what my problem is but I am getting such small flow rates coming out of the filter. I have the filter before my pump but this weekend I am going to switch it up.

Is anyone else having problems with flow rates?

Old 09-12-2011, 06:07 PM   #89
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 445 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pola0502ds View Post
Is it just me, or is this guy using the filter backwards? The trub should be on the outside of the filter not the inside. I confirmed that we derrin at brewers hardware.

After using this filter about 8-10 times now I am not pleased with it at all. I am working with derrin now to figure out what my problem is but I am getting such small flow rates coming out of the filter. I have the filter before my pump but this weekend I am going to switch it up.

Is anyone else having problems with flow rates?
Yes, he has his filter plumbed backwards.

As for flow rates, mine varies to some extent and I can't exactly find a common correlation, pellet vs whole vs old, etc. I have plugged my filter on one occasion, but it was nearly full of sludge. There is no way to fault the filter if you cram more material in it than it can hold. I have considered coming up with some type of "pre-filter" to catch the bulk of the junk so that this one can filter only the finest stuff. However, it is far easier to just use a hop spider and not worry about it.
One has to consider that everything has its limitations to some degree. I think the best thing to do is find an approximation of the volume of hop sludge that is going to result from the amount of hops being used. And if that is greater than the volume between the filter screen and the outer wall of the tube, then a hop spider should be used. Regardless of how well it is designed and built, expecting to stuff 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb bag just is not going to work.
I would also add, the flow seems to have a pretty strong bearing on how soon the flow will diminish and to what degree. Flowing too fast creates a lot of turbulence inside the filter. Instead of allowing the material to settle in the bottom and work its way up, it immediately coats the entire surface of the filter creating smaller pathways for the wort to flow through. This will lead to plugging much more quickly. This is of course my opinion, but seems to hold true with each use.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 09-13-2011, 04:05 AM   #90
microbusbrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Mine came today! Man, this thing is pretty massive...it definitely adds some bling to my rig. Just wondering what size batches everyone is brewing, especially for the guys that have managed to clog the filter. My system is set up for 5 gallons,so for those that have had problems I'm just wondering how much volume you're putting through it.

Quick Reply