Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Trub/Hop Filter from BrewersHardware

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2011, 09:22 PM   #41
amsped180
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyDick View Post
Thanks!

I'm toying with getting one of these, but thinking strongly about the Blichmann HopRocket as well. Don't think I'd need both. This seems like it would probably do better at filtering, unless I filled the HopRocket with some hops - though that wouldn't be appropriate for most styles I don't think. I'd bet you could probably stuff the HopRocket with Copper of SS pot scrubber as an alternative to hops though...

TD
I was looking at the hop rocket very seriously when I found this, and I had the same thought process when it comes to style. I bet your SS scrubbie idea would work, but at the end of the day you either have to clean them, or replace them next time. It was a toss up as the price for each unit was somewhat similar and at the end of the day I feel like I prefer brewing less hoppy darker styles.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 12:06 PM   #42
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 446 Times on 444 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Just to update, I brewed again this past weekend and everything went very well. I started the mash recirculation slow instead of wide open and it seemed to make all the difference in the world. However, I also had a totally different grain bill.
This brew used 5 oz of pellet hops vs 1.5 oz in the previous one. I did use a bag for them this time though, keeping the majority of them out of the filter. It still trapped a ton of crap and prevented it from entering the fermenter.
So, my conclusion at the moment: Perhaps slight changes in my brewing methods are netting optimum results and I think this was a great addition to my system. Regardless, I have had nothing to flush out of my plate hex since I started using it, which was the original intent in the first place. So, Derrin get my 100% approval rating for an excellent piece (FWIW).

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 06-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #43
milldoggy
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Does this remove the amount of trub in your primary? Is it noticeable? Any pics of the primary?

My hop stopper

Old 06-28-2011, 03:06 PM   #44
bull8042
I like 'em shaved

Recipes 

It removes nearly all of the solid material from the wort. The cold break is a gelatinous mass that I would imagine requires very fine filtration to remove. So I still had that in the fermenter, but it settles out within an hour or two.
I will be transferring my first brew that I did with the filter into secondary next week, so I will try to remember and get a picture for you. It is about 35 °L, so pretty hard to see the bottom with the beer in there right now.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

Old 06-28-2011, 03:13 PM   #45
milldoggy
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Cool, this might be on the xmas list. Wish he made a camlock version

My hop stopper

Old 06-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #46
bull8042
I like 'em shaved

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by milldoggy View Post
Shoot him an email. He does custom work and could very well hook you up.
Tell him Bull sent you.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:20 PM   #47
pola0502ds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull8042 View Post
Just to update, I brewed again this past weekend and everything went very well. I started the mash recirculation slow instead of wide open and it seemed to make all the difference in the world. However, I also had a totally different grain bill.
This brew used 5 oz of pellet hops vs 1.5 oz in the previous one. I did use a bag for them this time though, keeping the majority of them out of the filter. It still trapped a ton of crap and prevented it from entering the fermenter.
So, my conclusion at the moment: Perhaps slight changes in my brewing methods are netting optimum results and I think this was a great addition to my system. Regardless, I have had nothing to flush out of my plate hex since I started using it, which was the original intent in the first place. So, Derrin get my 100% approval rating for an excellent piece (FWIW).
I'm doing a cream ale and a APA. The cream ale only has 2 ounces of hops in a 10 gallon batch but the APA has 12 ounces in a 10 gallon batch. All hops start to be added at the 20minute boil mark. Should be interesting to see how the filter holds up to 12 ounces. I will report. I am brewing both on the 4th of july.

I too will making the transfer to my secondary next week, i will also post the results. My beer was a Chocolate oatmeal stout so it's pretty darn dark right now.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:24 PM   #48
pola0502ds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by milldoggy View Post
For the inlet get a 90 degree triclamp elbow, attach that to the filter. Then get a tri-clamp female adapter, screw the cam lock into the female adapter and clamp the adapter to the eblow. Do the same for the outlet but you wouldn't need a elbow. You have just converted it to a quick disconnect. Easier said than done i guess, it would cost about $20 bucks for 2 female tc adapters, $14 bucks for 2 tc clamps, $15 for the elbow, plus the cost of the QD's. Prices are based on my sources.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:47 PM   #49
bull8042
I like 'em shaved

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pola0502ds View Post
For the inlet get a 90 degree triclamp elbow, attach that to the filter. Then get a tri-clamp female adapter, screw the cam lock into the female adapter and clamp the adapter to the eblow. Do the same for the outlet but you wouldn't need a elbow. You have just converted it to a quick disconnect. Easier said than done i guess, it would cost about $20 bucks for 2 female tc adapters, $14 bucks for 2 tc clamps, $15 for the elbow, plus the cost of the QD's. Prices are based on my sources.
Yeah, and Derrin sells all of the components that you would need to accomplish this as well. Well, not you pola0502ds....the previous poster.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:41 PM   #50
pola0502ds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Female TC adapters are $10 bucks at www.weldessfittings.com. I would buy elbows, tees, clamps etc. from brewershardware or www.glaciertanks.com. That place has amazing deals on tc products.

Quick Reply