Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Trub/Hop Filter from BrewersHardware

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2011, 04:40 PM   #21
pola0502ds
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zymurgy101 View Post
Of you that have used it, did you also use a hop spider as well? I love big IPA's and would be concerned about either clogging the filter or slowing it down too much. However, I do use a hop spider, so that may keep the majority out of the filter and let it deal with the break material.
Never heard of a hop spider before, what is it.

Like i said in a previous post, the wort going into the chiller is very slow at first but after a few minutes of pulling it through the filter it goes back to a normal flow... I don't think you would have any problems.

Regarding the screens, I have both sizes he offers and to be honest, I don't know why he offers 2 different sizes. Side by side you cannot tell which one is which. There is a .2 and a .3. If i were to only buy one I would get the .3.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2011, 04:42 PM   #22
pola0502ds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull8042 View Post
I think a hop back was Derrin's original idea when he came up with this. Apparently, it didn't work out like he anticipated or wanted. For that reason, it became a filter instead.
Regardless, it wasn't a waste of money for sure. It does a superb job as a trub filter.
Yeah, he told me the same thing. He mentioned to me that he is still planning on creating one using the same outter tubing but modifing it some how. I don't know why it wouldn't work, with the filter inside it does limit how much you can use but I know you can buy tri-clamp gaskets that are screens. What if you used one of those on the out of the filter housing and packed the 3" tubing full of hops?

Old 06-21-2011, 05:19 PM   #23
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 445 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pola0502ds View Post

Like i said in a previous post, the wort going into the chiller is very slow at first but after a few minutes of pulling it through the filter it goes back to a normal flow... I don't think you would have any problems.

Regarding the screens, I have both sizes he offers and to be honest, I don't know why he offers 2 different sizes. Side by side you cannot tell which one is which. There is a .2 and a .3. If i were to only buy one I would get the .3.
A hop-spider is a 4-6" pipe fitting that has a paint strainer / hop bag clamped to it that hangs into the BK. There are rods or long bolts that extend out the sides to hold it on the top of the kettle.
Here is a fancy one. But it will give you an idea of what I mean.
As for the screens, I agree with you. 0.3 mm I would think would be sufficient.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 06-21-2011, 07:21 PM   #24
zymurgy101
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
They work fantastic! I like the paint bags because they are easy to clean and\or replace. It keeps the majority of pellet material from getting into the plate chiller. However, using the hop filter in conjunction might help even more...then again it could be overkill.

I used four pieces of threaded rod, a 4" PVC coupling (schedule 40), worm clamp, 5 gallon paint strainer, washers and nuts for the project. The cost was $10-$15 at most.

Here's the link that got me started:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/lil-...tha-man-40738/

Old 06-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #25
zymurgy101
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Regarding the slow flow and air inside the unit, what if you put the filter after the pump?

Old 06-22-2011, 11:10 AM   #26
pola0502ds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zymurgy101 View Post
Regarding the slow flow and air inside the unit, what if you put the filter after the pump?
I don't know? It seems like that would work that way you are push it through the filter instead of pulling it. I guess it would work, I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't. I know for sure though that I would NOT connect this filter directly to the pump without having something else support it. It doesn't weigh a lot but to the pump head it would feel like it weighs a ton and I would be afraid of snapping the threads off. I already did that once tightening to hard on them. That would be my only concern.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:13 AM   #27
pola0502ds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull8042 View Post
A hop-spider is a 4-6" pipe fitting that has a paint strainer / hop bag clamped to it that hangs into the BK. There are rods or long bolts that extend out the sides to hold it on the top of the kettle.
Here is a fancy one. But it will give you an idea of what I mean.
As for the screens, I agree with you. 0.3 mm I would think would be sufficient.
Wow, you were not kidding! That sure is a fancy one compared to the other ones I just looked up. That is really nice.

I could use something like this. I hate when you get a boil over or if you get to much foam during the boil, the hops stick to the underside of the rim on my keg (keggle). So after i have a boil over or close to one i need to take a spoon and kinda push the hops back into the boil.

Now that i am thinking about this, since i have both of derrins mesh filters that are suppose to slip over the main filter, I wonder if I can take one of them, add hops to the inside and figure a way to close it up but able to open it back up. Then just through it in the kettle. This is a nice idea but it may be to much work.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #28
bull8042
I like 'em shaved

Recipes 

Just out of curiosity, how tight does the finer screen fit over the filter screen that is welded in originally? I am just wondering if I could use one of the finer screen as a starting point of creating a "pre-filter" to stop the bigger stuff and let the 0.5mm screen worry only about the minute particles.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

Old 06-23-2011, 10:56 AM   #29
pola0502ds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It's pretty tight.. There is just enough slack in it to slide it over the filter that is welded to the triclamp. When you guy these mesh fitlers he sends a stainless pipe clamp with it and thats how you secure it onto the filter.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:00 AM   #30
bull8042
I like 'em shaved

Recipes 

Quote:
It's pretty tight.. There is just enough slack in it to slide it over the filter that is welded to the triclamp. When you guy these mesh fitlers he sends a stainless pipe clamp with it and thats how you secure it onto the filter.
Cool. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply