Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Trub/Hop Filter from BrewersHardware

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #191
bdjohns1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markd27
I'd love to order this for my setup, but I can't for the life of me figure out why they don't offer an NPT version. It's crazy to think I'd have to spend $125 + shipping for this, then need to spend another $60 (!) on fittings, that's half the price of the filter.
If I were going to hazard a guess, there are a few drivers:

1) This is made from stainless tubing. NPT threads are found on thick-wall pipes. Tri-clamps and other sanitary fittings are what's on tubing normally.
2) Triclamp fittings are the normal fitting in commercial food, beverage, and brewing applications. A lot of home brewers use NPT fittings because they're cheap and available, not because they're the "correct" choice. (I use my "correct" in the "correct at my day job where we can go through >1 million pounds of milk in a day" sense - NPT threads are not on anything that makes direct product contact. Steam piping gets NPT up until the final flow regulator, then it goes TC. That's as close as an NPT fitting gets to products)
3) if you're reached the point in brewing where a $125 filter makes sense, then maybe you should be on TCs.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 02:24 AM   #192
NoCornOrRice
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default what about using it for crystal clear beer or for a mash screen?

I'm thinking about getting one of these. I wonder though could it also be used to:

1.) act as mash tun false bottom in a bottom drain keggle?

2.) If I put a fine hop bag (the kind that keeps pellets in check in the boil) over the filter with a worm clamp, would it act as a small enough filter to make for crystal clear beer after fermentation?

Old 04-18-2013, 10:41 AM   #193
luhrks
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Used the Glacier Tanks 1.5" version on a 2bbl System last night as a test before putting it on my system this weekend. All I have to say is, it worked better than expected. It caught stuff that the false bottoms in both the mash and boil kettles had missed as well as the trub. There was no noticeable speed reduction on the pump in drainage, no sticks, or anything. I think the key here is that the BK had a false bottom already, we weren't relying on it as the only filter.

The batch had 13oz of whole hops in it, most of which was caught by the BK screen, but wow... what we pulled out of the filter was... shocking. This is stuff that would pass into the plate chiller and the fermenter. Some was actually grain that had come all the way from the mash.

I think that if you set them up correctly, and don't rely on them as you're ONLY source of filtration in the brewing process, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

img_20130417_221448.jpg   img_20130417_230107.jpg   img_20130417_231833.jpg  
Old 04-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #194
oakbarn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 26

We have 2 of these. I use on AFTER the pump on my Stout MLT before the HERMS. The other one is hooked up to the outlet of the Stout BK.

We do have a false bottom in the MLT and use Hop Socks in the BK.

Mostly grain bits in both after brewing.

On thing we do is precharge all the pumps and filters with hot water and have no air in them. I also have bleeder valves after the outlet valves. (St. Pats mpt with 1/4 in SS valve.)

Old 04-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #195
tyzippers
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 404 Times on 300 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakbarn View Post
We have 2 of these. I use on AFTER the pump on my Stout MLT before the HERMS. The other one is hooked up to the outlet of the Stout BK.

We do have a false bottom in the MLT and use Hop Socks in the BK.

Mostly grain bits in both after brewing.

On thing we do is precharge all the pumps and filters with hot water and have no air in them. I also have bleeder valves after the outlet valves. (St. Pats mpt with 1/4 in SS valve.)
That's a good call on precharging the line, pumps, and filter. I've been fighting with mine for the last few brew sessions and I never thought of that. I really feel like a reject because I are a Mechanical Engineer. I feel like I should know these things. Next brew session I'll be charged with a lot of good ideas! I'm determined to make this thing work! There certainly is some good information in this thread!

Old 04-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #196
oakbarn

Recipes 

The bleeder valves also help a lot. Once I get a pump charged, I never mess with the supply side.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #197
tyzippers
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 404 Times on 300 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakbarn View Post
The bleeder valves also help a lot. Once I get a pump charged, I never mess with the supply side.
Can you maybe post a few pics of your setup? It sound pretty sweet! I'm interested to see how you have the filter plumbed in.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:07 PM   #198
oakbarn

Recipes 

I can do that but I will have to set it up. It is something of a rube goldberg machine as I do not want to change hoses once set up and I also pump hot water to top off the fermenter and get out all the wort.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:28 PM   #199
kickflip_mj
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Koi need your help. I am building a 25 gal hard plumbed TC set up. I was going to mount the filter horizontal before the pump. Then I was advised vertical before the pump. Can I mount my filter horizontal after the pump?

image-3829387235.jpg

Old 04-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #200
oakbarn

Recipes 

On the supply side it needs to be vertical. I have one mounted sideways after the pump of my MLT and have not had many problems, but it does not fill up with grain. I do not vorloft because of the small amount of grain in the filter. I am thinking of mounting it vertical however as that the way it was designed to be used. I use Hop Bags (the throw away kind) in my BK so I do not have that much trub to begin with. I mostly catch a little of the grain that passed through the first filter into my BK. I may not have 100% of hop utilization but it is not an exact science anyway. I think the Hop variation within a crop would more of a factor than the hop bag loss. I also use a Blickmann Hop Rocket just before my plate chiller. If I am not using Leaf Flavor hops,I fill with SS scrubies as a final filter.

I would e mail Brewers Hardware. THey are the one in the know.

Quick Reply