Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Trub/Hop Filter from BrewersHardware

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2011, 06:03 PM   #11
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 446 Times on 444 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pola0502ds View Post
I'm doing a oatmeal stout sunday, i will post the results.

Bull, thats one hell of a chiller you got. Do you have a build thread or more pictures?

So the people that own these filters, are you guys still going to whirlpool, wait, and then use the filter or just go straight to the filter after the boil? I'm hoping i don't have to whirlpool. I think that would take away from what it's suppose to be.
I am doing a sweet stout Saturday, so between both of us, we should have some sort of results to post.
The chiller is only for fermentation in the summer and chilling my cooling water if the ground temp gets high enough to necessitate ice. Sorry, but no build thread on my rig, but plenty of pics. One of these days I will put together a thread when I feel like I have time to follow it and answer questions. I know there could be a few.
Oh, and no whirlpool. I pump it all out into the fermenter if it makes it into the pickup tube.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 12:28 PM   #12
bull8042
I like 'em shaved

Recipes 

Well, I brewed with the new trub filter Saturday and I will have to admit, it did one heck of a job filtering. I only used 1-1/2 oz of Cascade in this recipe, and I think every bit of it ended up in the filter instead of the fermenter.
The flow did slow to a near dead-stop right at the end of the discharge into the fermenter. For my use, I am contemplating opening the holes a bit to somewhere between 0.75 mm - 1.0 mm. I am only interested in keeping the grain particles that slip through the false bottom in my MLT from entering my plate-type heat exchanger. I really don't need this level of filtering personally.
All in all though, I am very happy with it. Derrin did another fine job with this piece of equipment, right in line with what I have come to expect from him.

2011-06-18_15-47-57_262.jpg  

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

Old 06-20-2011, 02:24 PM   #13
pola0502ds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I brewed a 10 gallon batch of a oatmeal stout this weekend and had 5 onces of hops in it. I didn't take any pictures but it looks exactly like the above picture. I know I had some left in the kettle as well. I can't tell exactly how much if any went into the fermentor so I can't speak for it on that end but it seemed to work pretty well. I had the opposite problem as what is mentioned above. It took FOREVER to get all the air of the filter and to get a good flow going but once it got a good flow it never stopped.

I'm pretty pleased with this unit.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:24 AM   #14
mkultra69
Recipes 

Thanks for the post guys. I've seen this and was wondering how well it worked. Keep us updated from time to time. I would like to know how it holds up to an IPA.

Live better buy union

Old 06-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #15
pola0502ds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'd say an ipa would be just fine as well. The 3" dia. outer tubing can hold a lot of hops. I'm not sure how much but I'm sure it would work on a huge IPA on a 10 gallon batch.

If anyone uses this filter as a hop back, please post results. I'm really interested in doing that. Is it even possible with this unit to work as a hop back efficiently?

Old 06-21-2011, 12:20 PM   #16
bull8042
I like 'em shaved

Recipes 

I think a hop back was Derrin's original idea when he came up with this. Apparently, it didn't work out like he anticipated or wanted. For that reason, it became a filter instead.
Regardless, it wasn't a waste of money for sure. It does a superb job as a trub filter.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:04 PM   #17
milldoggy
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Wonder if you could hook up an o2 stone and oxyigenate at the same time.

My hop stopper

Old 06-21-2011, 01:17 PM   #18
bull8042
I like 'em shaved

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by milldoggy View Post
Wonder if you could hook up an o2 stone and oxyigenate at the same time.
No way to do that without modding the filter housing. If I were putting a stone inline, I wouldn't put it in the filter anyway. You would be better off to keep them separate in my opinion.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:53 PM   #19
zymurgy101
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Of you that have used it, did you also use a hop spider as well? I love big IPA's and would be concerned about either clogging the filter or slowing it down too much. However, I do use a hop spider, so that may keep the majority out of the filter and let it deal with the break material.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:06 PM   #20
bull8042
I like 'em shaved

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zymurgy101 View Post
Of you that have used it, did you also use a hop spider as well? I love big IPA's and would be concerned about either clogging the filter or slowing it down too much. However, I do use a hop spider, so that may keep the majority out of the filter and let it deal with the break material.
I did not use my hop spider this time just to see. But if you are planning on using one, especially for an IPA, I can't imagine you would experience any issues plugging the filter.
If you do that, you could also give the finer screens a try and see how they perform on the break material. I still got a fair amount of break into the fermenter, BUT I don't recirculate during chilling and my pick up tube pulls off of the very bottom. Having the break in there doesn't really bother me since it settles out anyway along with the rest of the trub.

Quick Reply