The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Trub/Hop Filter from BrewersHardware

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #181
Doctor_M
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Doctor_M's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Falls Church, VA
Posts: 593
Liked 59 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Default

Im looking forward to see how your setup works jlo!

__________________
Doctor_M is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 04:18 AM   #182
JLo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Woodbury, MN, Minnesota
Posts: 95
Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Dual Filter Run

I ran the dual filter setup today. Two Brewers Hardware trub filters with the 0.2 micron screens. I hit flame out, stirred to get a whirlpool going, put the lid on and waited for 5 minutes while I did something else. I came back and opened the system wide up, 8 minutes later I had just over 5.5 gallons in the fermenter.

I knocked out with 6.5 gallons in the kettle, 5 oz of hops with an old ale partial mash. I measured 5.5 gallons in the fermenter. I back flushed the filters before I remembered to take a picture. That will have to wait for next time. I had the high speed pump going and the 1/2" plumbing wide open to push through all the plumbing the dual filters and pull the last drops of sweet wort from the bottom of the kettle.

When compensating for shrinkage of water, I lost .6 gallons, all in all not too bad.

Cleaning is a whole other deal now. With all of the tri-clover fittings and gaskets, I now have a bucket full of sanitizer for all of the tri-clover parts.

__________________

Must not change more than one thing at a time....

JLo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #183
TrickyDick
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
TrickyDick's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: near Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,710
Liked 115 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLo View Post
I ran the dual filter setup today. Two Brewers Hardware trub filters with the 0.2 micron screens. I hit flame out, stirred to get a whirlpool going, put the lid on and waited for 5 minutes while I did something else. I came back and opened the system wide up, 8 minutes later I had just over 5.5 gallons in the fermenter.

I knocked out with 6.5 gallons in the kettle, 5 oz of hops with an old ale partial mash. I measured 5.5 gallons in the fermenter. I back flushed the filters before I remembered to take a picture. That will have to wait for next time. I had the high speed pump going and the 1/2" plumbing wide open to push through all the plumbing the dual filters and pull the last drops of sweet wort from the bottom of the kettle.

When compensating for shrinkage of water, I lost .6 gallons, all in all not too bad.

Cleaning is a whole other deal now. With all of the tri-clover fittings and gaskets, I now have a bucket full of sanitizer for all of the tri-clover parts.
Got any pics? You ran them in parallel setup?
How clear was the wort and how much trub left in kettle (Flat bottom?)
Sounds like they work FAST with pump! Pump sounds like it was between kettle and filters. Is there any filter or anything on the kettle bulkhead valve or just a dip tube.

Thanks!
TD
__________________
TrickyDick is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 10:50 PM   #184
JLo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Woodbury, MN, Minnesota
Posts: 95
Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

TD check out my pic a few posts back.

I'm using an electricbrewery.com 20 gallon Blichmann electric kettle, the pump came with the Sabco ChillWizard and I upgraded the pump to high speed.

I'm still working out the kinks, ideally I would have the trub filter above the counterflow chiller and pump through most of the process and then let the filters drain dry.

I think I have the parts in the right sequence, maybe just not at the right elevation.

__________________

Must not change more than one thing at a time....

JLo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #185
Landshark67
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 121
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Regarding larger batches. 20gal +

I been using the trub/hop filter for 20+ batches. The average boil size is 30 gallons. I'm using a Duda Diesel 60 plate chiller.

My goal when purchasing the unit was to use it to protect the plate chiller. The challenge is that I need to sanitize the chiller (typically begin the whirlpool 5min before flame out). At the beginning of the whirlpool, there is a fair amount of hop debris in the kettle so I need the filter to prevent clogging yet allow for enough flow volume to create an effective whirlpool.

To date I have had exactly two brew sessions go smoothly with the filter. BK>pump>Filter>HEX>BK ...the only way to get whirlpool volume going. BK>Filter>Pump>HEX>BK is a disaster. The filter starves the pump if put before making the wort difficult to force through the plate chiller.

The key to the two successful batches was to limit the flow/use time of the filter. 3-4min and then bypass completely. By that time the whirpool is really turning and the cone will form on it's own. From there, it's pump through the plate chiller and into the FV. I run the pump at full flow through the chiller. No clogging and the exit point is 59-61F.

I now manually start the whirpool with a ss paddle and wait a few minutes. It's not what I had hoped for when I bought the unit but it helps prevent clogging. IMO - if you can effectively whirlpool, you may not need the filter. It's decent insurance but not a cure-all for large batches.

One trick is to use a bleeder valve. One at the exit point of the plate chiller to vent trapped air. It seems like the filter/plate chiller combo conspires to trap air.


Brew on!
__________________
Landshark67 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #186
rvklein
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 520
Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark67 View Post
Regarding larger batches. 20gal +

I been using the trub/hop filter for 20+ batches. The average boil size is 30 gallons. I'm using a Duda Diesel 60 plate chiller.

My goal when purchasing the unit was to use it to protect the plate chiller. The challenge is that I need to sanitize the chiller (typically begin the whirlpool 5min before flame out). At the beginning of the whirlpool, there is a fair amount of hop debris in the kettle so I need the filter to prevent clogging yet allow for enough flow volume to create an effective whirlpool.

To date I have had exactly two brew sessions go smoothly with the filter. BK>pump>Filter>HEX>BK ...the only way to get whirlpool volume going. BK>Filter>Pump>HEX>BK is a disaster. The filter starves the pump if put before making the wort difficult to force through the plate chiller.

The key to the two successful batches was to limit the flow/use time of the filter. 3-4min and then bypass completely. By that time the whirpool is really turning and the cone will form on it's own. From there, it's pump through the plate chiller and into the FV. I run the pump at full flow through the chiller. No clogging and the exit point is 59-61F.

I now manually start the whirpool with a ss paddle and wait a few minutes. It's not what I had hoped for when I bought the unit but it helps prevent clogging. IMO - if you can effectively whirlpool, you may not need the filter. It's decent insurance but not a cure-all for large batches.

One trick is to use a bleeder valve. One at the exit point of the plate chiller to vent trapped air. It seems like the filter/plate chiller combo conspires to trap air.


Brew on!
I typically sanitize my plate chiller when sparging from the HLT. Then run a little starsan through it right before chilling. I also found whirlpooling with the filter between the BK & the pump impossible but didn't try it after the pump.

I only use the filter pre-chiller.
__________________
Tapped-Out Brewing & Pub Build
rvklein is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #187
JLo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Woodbury, MN, Minnesota
Posts: 95
Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

While mashing, I fire up the BK to heat my sparge water. I bring the sparge water to boiling and recirculate at boiling through the plate chiller and trub filters for at least 15 minutes. I then drain the loop and fill the HLT, so far my forced wort tests are coming out clean.

__________________

Must not change more than one thing at a time....

JLo is offline
Landshark67 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 05:57 PM   #188
Landshark67
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 121
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLo View Post
While mashing, I fire up the BK to heat my sparge water. I bring the sparge water to boiling and recirculate at boiling through the plate chiller and trub filters for at least 15 minutes. I then drain the loop and fill the HLT, so far my forced wort tests are coming out clean.
Thanks for the tip. Easy solution to sanitizing the Plate Chiller.
__________________
Landshark67 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #189
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WortMonger's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Edmond, OK, Oklahoma
Posts: 3,125
Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

I have still been following this thread hoping to get more turned on, but it looks like bk>filtered funnel>grant/pump combo>hex>bk for me still. I have found it very easy to get piece of mind from my $80 presto pressure canner sterilizing my Therminator. From the amount of gunk that comes out of that thing though I think I am still sanitizing rather than sterilizing, but I can live with that. Plus I used it for another purpose the other night and cooked 4 gallons of chili and canned it. I love my p-canner!

I have been looking for a set of filter cones that get consecutively smaller weave so I could just stack them on top of each other in my grant and then pull them as they start to clog. Then once they are all out of the grant towards the end of my recirculating chill, I can add even finer sets to get as much as I need to get out of the final beer. I'm thinking for delicate lagers here since I really don't care about fining that much on most every other beer. Anyone know of a product that would fit in a corny I.D. ?

I use this same configuration of chilling for cleaning, only I reverse the direction of the hex so it is getting back flushed. I get my rinse water very clean and I still catch chunks of grist and other in the funnel filter.

__________________
"Beer... Nutritious and Delicious!"

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"
WortMonger is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 10:05 PM   #190
Markd27
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Markd27's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Allen, Tx
Posts: 449
Liked 37 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

I'd love to order this for my setup, but I can't for the life of me figure out why they don't offer an NPT version. It's crazy to think I'd have to spend $125 + shipping for this, then need to spend another $60 (!) on fittings, that's half the price of the filter.

I'm also considering the HopRocket, which would only cost me $10 for two camlock QD's. I want to use this as a secondary filter to catch grain debris before it hits the Therminator, and I don't think the HopRocket offers fine enough filtration on it's own (without hops or rice hulls or something else in there). So, I may be stuck buying this anyways. I'll be using a stainless hop spider to filter out most of the hop debris in the kettle.

__________________
Markd27 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Inline Trub Filter BDB Equipment/Sanitation 14 06-29-2011 07:27 PM
Water from Pur filter (sink faucet filter)? New Brew Equipment/Sanitation 1 01-26-2011 04:14 PM
Oxygenation, is a filter necessary? nickwin Equipment/Sanitation 4 05-28-2009 07:52 PM
How do you keep trub out of your CFC? wedge421 Equipment/Sanitation 16 05-14-2008 02:25 PM
Filter Criniit Equipment/Sanitation 3 07-04-2007 03:24 AM