Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Trub/Hop Filter from BrewersHardware

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2012, 12:06 AM   #171
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftTurnOnly
Hey there guys.... I just used the filter this weekend for my first time... After immersion chilling, it was set up like this. BK>Pump>(small clamp end)Filter(big clamp end)>Fermenter. The filter was being held by hand roughly horizontally over a funnel for our first test. It seemed to clog very quickly to where no liquid was coming out even with the ball valve after the pump being wide open. We eventually took the filter off and just flowed into the funnel to finish the fermenter fill. After finishing and taking the filter apart, it had very little hop matter inside but just enough where pretty much every hole had a tiny amount of hop matter in it.

Granted, this was our first use of it, but not our last....

It kinda sounds like more people are putting the filter before the pump, so i think we'll try that next, and perhaps try and have it be vertical as well. It looks like it'll be great... Just gotta get it dialed in...
You need the large end of the canister as the inlet, the small end (the filter) is the outlet. Otherwise you're just filling the filter tube with hop debris and the pressure forces it into the screen and plugs it up. When you hook it up correctly and remove the filter assembly, it will be coated on the outside with hop debris. There will be nearly nothing on the inside of the filter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 12:29 AM   #172
LeftTurnOnly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hey there Reelale... hmmm i wonder if i messed up my description since really there are 3 clamps. What I was calling the small clamp end would be the main housing, and the big clamp end would be the end with the 2 clamps, where the filter piece inserts at requiring the bigger clamp. So i was going in on the main housing, and out of the filter insert, which i think means i was going in the right end... i think... heh.... though not 100% sure...

Old 03-19-2012, 12:40 AM   #173
Reelale
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftTurnOnly
Hey there Reelale... hmmm i wonder if i messed up my description since really there are 3 clamps. What I was calling the small clamp end would be the main housing, and the big clamp end would be the end with the 2 clamps, where the filter piece inserts at requiring the bigger clamp. So i was going in on the main housing, and out of the filter insert, which i think means i was going in the right end... i think... heh.... though not 100% sure...
I see now. It sounds like you have it correct. I have yet to brew on mine, but I did a test run with 4 oz of pellet hops in 6 gallons of water. Mine is plumbed after the pump. I did notice that running it with the valve wide open would eventually cause flow reduction from clogging. I just slowed the flow down for a bit, or even stopped it momentarily, and it would eventually flow fine. I had a ton of hop debris in the cannister, and the effluent was very, very clear. I hope it works as well with a real wort.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:36 AM   #174
Reelale
Recipes 

Anybody find any more tricks to using this filter?

Old 05-08-2012, 03:07 AM   #175
akthor
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

I have but haven't used it yet, I hope by the weekend I will.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #176
razzman
Recipes 

Hi all. I just thought I'd share a few tips on using the trub filter.
I've made two batches with it to date and the batch I made today was by far a better process than the first.
The filter performs a lot better with hot wort running through it compared to chilled wort, I'm assuming this is because there is a lot more break in the chilled wort.
I used an IC chiller to get the wort down to 70 degrees celsius, then added aroma hops, whirlpooled and allowed to stand for 90 mins. The wort was still at 60 degrees when I cast out. Doing this had nothing to do with the equipment, it is something I wanted to try for hop aroma, after reading about it here.
I used a very slow flow rate out of the kettle, this also sits well with using a plate chiller. I think this is an important step in using the filter. It took 75 minutes to pass 42 lts into the fermenter. I managed to leave 2.5 lts of hop pellets and hot break in the kettle.
There has been some discussion about where to place the filter in relation to the pump, I placed it between the kettle and pump.
The wort into the kettle was the clearest I have seen, even when I started to get some trub/break going into the filter it managed to hold it in.
And this is one of the best parts, back flushing the PC produced very little sediment. Not even a hint of green.
The contents of the filter looked like more like green slime than what I saw with the last batch, which was mostly chunky looking hops.
Anyway, it has been one of my most satisfying brew days in 22 years. If you have any doubts about buying one of these filters, please persist, I think it is worth the money.
Now I just have to wait a few weeks to sample the beer!
John

Last edited by razzman; 05-20-2012 at 11:27 AM.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #177
JLo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Multiple Filters - Parallel or Series

I really like using this product with the .2 mm screen. Sometimes with larger batches, I found myself needing to disconnect and clean half way through the chilling, especially on 13 gallon batches with 10+ oz of hops. I would rather not whirlpool or rest and basically want to run into the fermenter right after I cut the boil.

I was wondering if it would be better to run 2 of these in parallel each with the .2 mm screen, or would it be better to run these in series, perhaps one without the screen and a second with the .2 mm screen. Thoughts?

Old 09-27-2012, 05:28 PM   #178
TrickyDick
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I bought one but haven't used it yet.

I think running two in series is not going to help your issues because all the debris is going to wind up in the first filter, and the second filter is not going to filter anything because all the particles larger than the filter hole diameter have already been stopped by the first filter.

What you could do is run two .2mm filters in parallel and that should help the clogging. Another idea might be to run two in series, but the first filter with a larger hole diameter or no filter screen at all, then second with a smaller hole diameter of the filter screen.

I suspect that the parallel configuration would provide better flow however might be more complicated to plumb and support.

let us know how it turns out. I usually brew 10 gallon batches so I'm hoping on is fine for my needs.

TD

Old 09-28-2012, 01:29 PM   #179
JLo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Default Ordered a 2nd

I've ordered a second filter and some fittings to allow them to run in parallel or series. I'm going to run in parallel first and see how it goes.

My next brew day is before I'll get the second trub filter. I'm also going to try and brew a 13 gallon lots-o-hops batch this weekend, but this time I'm going to use the .2mm screen and pull the old hop sock out of retirement.

Basically I'm trying to continually shorten my brew day and am trying to get my all grain session under 3 hours. I'm almost there. My stretch goal is 2.5 hours, but I've already gotten from 6 to 3.25, but we'll see.... I do a lot of prep the day before, but dough-in to cleaned and drying I would love to have under 3 hours.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:07 AM   #180
JLo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I ordered on Friday AM and it arrived in the mail today. I've hooked up the second filter in parallel, both of them have the .2 mm screen. I am going to try and go as fast as the Therminator can chill. I have a feeling that if I go wide open from the start with the high flow pump I'm probably asking for trouble.

I'm going to need more stainless....

img_7501.jpg  

Quick Reply