Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Trub/Hop Filter from BrewersHardware

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
pola0502ds
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Trub/Hop Filter from BrewersHardware

Hello,

Did anyone buy this new Trub filter from brewershardware? The link is below. I know he didn't sell that many at first and he currently has a long lead time on them. I would like to hear some feedback on it..

It's a very nice setup.

http://www.brewershardware.com/HOP1.html

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2011, 01:44 PM   #2
ultravista
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 26

That's pretty slick. It leaves me thinking of a DIY project. An in-line filter ...

While I don't have a pump yet, it may not be that far around the corner.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
SankePankey
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

Thats cool. Considering the fact that a single sock gasket is like $53, it's a good deal too.

Would be great if you could choose from a few different mesh size options. That doesn't seem to be a one size fits all kinda thing. Also, that is perfect for a hop-back with a different screen perhaps.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:11 PM   #4
amsped180
Recipes 

Default Got mine in the mail today

I was looking into making a home made hop back out of an SS food storage container and a bunch of TC fittings. I was pricing out all of the necessary fittings when I came across this rig. I also considered the hop rocket, but figured that not many of my beers need late addition hops, and I don't know how well it would work without hops. I decided to give the hop/trub filter a shot and it just showed up in the mail today. Without having used it in practice, it seems like it will be relatively easy to use. I was a little timid about the pore size on the fixed filter, but it seems like they will be small enough to filter out the majority of pellet hop material. I'm going to rig it BK>Filter>Pump>plate chiller. On the first go I will use it as is to filter BK hops. After I am satisfied with its ability to filter break material and hops I'm going to pack it with whole leaf hops and test it out as a hop back. When I'm done with these trials I will report back. The only other concern I have regarding this settup is what its contribution to HSA will be. I'm going to try to mount it at an angle so the wort can run down the inside wall of the cylinder rather than just dropping into the chamber.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:16 PM   #5
pola0502ds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just got mine in on this past monday. Did you look inside the filter? Did it look pretty dirty? Mine was. I wonder what the best way is to clean it.

I like your idea, i would really like to know how it works out. please report back.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
amsped180
Recipes 

Default Dirty inside

I did look inside, and aside from a few small spots it didn't look excessively dirty. I will most likely let it sit in a PBW solution for a little while before I use it for the first time. This should get rid of anything that is in there. Does the dirt look organic or does it look more like welding by product?

Old 06-16-2011, 11:03 AM   #7
pola0502ds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It would have to be organic, some type of oil, or whatever. It's not located by the seem of where it's welded. I soaked it in pbw last night and cleaned it so I am good to go.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:55 PM   #8
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 445 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I got mine this week as well and am stoked to brew with it this Saturday. Mine had a few spots that came right out with a PWB soak, which is a good practice for anything new anyway.
I am positive this will remove any possibility of anything getting into my plate chiller that is too big to pass.

It looks "real purty" too!

filter.jpg  

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 06-16-2011, 04:16 PM   #9
thelorax121
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If/when anyone gives this a run on an actual batch (10 gal ideally), I would love to hear how it well it works and if it clogs. I read through the test on brewershardware, but it seemed like it was only used on water and hops, so the gooey coagulated protein trubby goodness was not a factor. I am very close to pulling the trigger on this, but want to make sure it is functional before doing so. Thanks!

Old 06-16-2011, 04:34 PM   #10
pola0502ds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm doing a oatmeal stout sunday, i will post the results.

Bull, thats one hell of a chiller you got. Do you have a build thread or more pictures?

So the people that own these filters, are you guys still going to whirlpool, wait, and then use the filter or just go straight to the filter after the boil? I'm hoping i don't have to whirlpool. I think that would take away from what it's suppose to be.

Quick Reply