New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Trouble Picking a new brew pot




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #11
marshallbeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Nottingham, NH, New Hampshire
Posts: 61
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

I went keggle. I'm still doing only 5 gallon batches but I just built a brew rig and when I decide to do ten gallon batches I can. Cost me $60 for a keg and roughly $120 for the fittings which included a sight gauge and thermometer.



__________________
marshallbeer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #12
amandabab
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: spokane, wa
Posts: 1,971
Liked 235 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Default

I'd rather have a good 10gallon pot with fittings for a 5 gallon batch now than a bigger pot for the possibility of 10 gallons later.



__________________
amandabab is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #13
poptarts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Laramie, Wyoming
Posts: 552
Liked 106 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoLincoln View Post
60 quart stainless steel pot for less than $100

I bought the 100 quart version of this from this vendor, and it's a quality pot.
Sold on this one I think, 18/10 60qt and under 100 shipped. Time to go to bargain fittings and pimp my pot as the cool kids say.
__________________
poptarts is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #14
LandoLincoln
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
LandoLincoln's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Joliet, IL
Posts: 1,774
Liked 370 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poptarts View Post
Sold on this one I think, 18/10 60qt and under 100 shipped. Time to go to bargain fittings and pimp my pot as the cool kids say.
Just be aware that I had one HECK of a time drilling holes into this thing. I also own some keggles and I had little problem drilling holes into those things, but this pot was a super tough challenge. It's like the whole pot is pre-hardened. Or actually made of adamantium or something like that.
__________________
www.jolietbrewersguild.org
LandoLincoln is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #15
b-boy
Senior Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
b-boy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: GETZVILLE, NY
Posts: 2,151
Liked 345 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoLincoln View Post
Or actually made of adamantium or something like that.
+1 for the Wolverine reference.

I have the 60qt Aluminum Winco Heavy Duty pot. I like it, but it's a little big for 5-gallon batches.
__________________

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

b-boy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 09:40 PM   #16
SpikeBrewing
Vendor
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SpikeBrewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 719
Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poptarts View Post
Sold on this one I think, 18/10 60qt and under 100 shipped. Time to go to bargain fittings and pimp my pot as the cool kids say.
Great kettle, same ones we use but just wanted to say they are not 18/10 they are 18/8. 18/10 is 316 stainless and 18/8 is 304. Not that it really makes a difference but just so you know what you're buying

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoLincoln View Post
Just be aware that I had one HECK of a time drilling holes into this thing. I also own some keggles and I had little problem drilling holes into those things, but this pot was a super tough challenge. It's like the whole pot is pre-hardened. Or actually made of adamantium or something like that.
Take this to heart. Cheapo Harbor Freight drill bits can be worn out in less than a hole. Slow, lots of pressure and cutting oil will be your best friend! Or spend some $$$ and get a Cobalt step bit and/or knockout punch.
__________________
SpikeBrewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #17
LandoLincoln
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
LandoLincoln's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Joliet, IL
Posts: 1,774
Liked 370 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeBrewing View Post
Take this to heart. Cheapo Harbor Freight drill bits can be worn out in less than a hole. Slow, lots of pressure and cutting oil will be your best friend! Or spend some $$$ and get a Cobalt step bit and/or knockout punch.
Shaa, right. My pot just laughed at the cobalt bits I bought. Once I finally managed to get a pilot hole drilled the (non-cobalt) step bit I bought worked fine. But getting that first hole drilled...oh, lordy. I used enough pressure to snap a few bits, went sloooow and used cutting oil the whole time.
__________________
www.jolietbrewersguild.org
LandoLincoln is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #18
SpikeBrewing
Vendor
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SpikeBrewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 719
Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoLincoln View Post

Shaa, right. My pot just laughed at the cobalt bits I bought. Once I finally managed to get a pilot hole drilled the (non-cobalt) step bit I bought worked fine. But getting that first hole drilled...oh, lordy. I used enough pressure to snap a few bits, went sloooow and used cutting oil the whole time.
Ahh yes people have asked us about this before. You don't want to start the hole with the step bit. Use a good 1/8" drill bit.
__________________
SpikeBrewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 10:14 PM   #19
poptarts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Laramie, Wyoming
Posts: 552
Liked 106 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeBrewing View Post
Great kettle, same ones we use but just wanted to say they are not 18/10 they are 18/8. 18/10 is 316 stainless and 18/8 is 304. Not that it really makes a difference but just so you know what you're buying

Take this to heart. Cheapo Harbor Freight drill bits can be worn out in less than a hole. Slow, lots of pressure and cutting oil will be your best friend! Or spend some $$$ and get a Cobalt step bit and/or knockout punch.
Good information on all levels, Thanks.
__________________
poptarts is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #20
amandabab
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: spokane, wa
Posts: 1,971
Liked 235 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Default

Spikebrewing

Do you have any plans to sell those awesome looking armored pyrex sight glass assemblies seperately?

sorry to side track the thread.



__________________
amandabab is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Picking up a new brew kettle tomorrow farfromrice Equipment/Sanitation 13 01-21-2013 03:04 PM
Need help picking steel for a brew rig CidahMastah DIY Projects 60 01-11-2012 05:51 PM
Trouble picking a starter kit...plz help! :) Magaroni Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 28 06-15-2011 01:55 AM
trouble picking first partial mash recipe jzal8 Recipes/Ingredients 13 11-28-2007 05:48 PM
Help picking my next brew? Bobby_M Extract Brewing 1 10-18-2006 04:24 PM