Tri-clover sizing and pumps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nameless

Reaction score
I'm about to hard plumb my system and am trying to settle on whether I should use 1" or 1.5" tri-clover piping. It seems like there are more accessories (sight tubes, filter, etc.) for 1.5" and that it's overall a bit more popular. I understand that the connectors are physically compatible with each other, but I'd like to stick to one size to avoid a hard edge or the need to add reducers. So, my questions...

Any preference between 1" and 1.5" and why?

How would having 1.5" piping affect the performance of a March pump with its 0.5" connections? My understanding is that the input is irrelevant but having a wider output would reduce performance.

You are going to have hard edges somewhere in your system regardless of which size you choose if your pump inlet is 1/2".

Your output is going to be controlled by a valve anyway so I wouldn't worry about that.

If your are going to use site glasses and other 1.5" devices on the input side of your pump you might need the 1.5" fittings but most of that stuff usually ends up on the output.
Also consider the center inlet pumps that have 3/4" inputs so less of a drastic change in calibre on that end.

I'm going to use 1/2" Tri-Clamp fittings on my rig - the same size as the Sabco Brew-Magic uses. The inner diameter of these fittings is about 3/8". The actual plumbing will likely be 1/2" ID silicone tubing. I am not too worried about the small amount of plumbing that will be smaller than 1/2" ID. On my current rig, I am able to pump wort through a 25' x 1/4" ID counterflow chiller with no problems at all.

Youch. Have you priced 1/2" tri-clamp fittings? Thery're twice as expensive as the 1/1.5" fittings. Which will fit up fine with 1/2" plumbing.

Yes, I have priced 1/2" tri-clamp fittings. I found a great deal on eBay for 50 1/2" TC clamps. I bought the ferrules from JMESanitary.com, and found their prices to be pretty reasonable.

It's mostly a matter of personal preference, as I like the look of the smaller 1/2" TC fittings relative to the scale of the rest of my equipment. I used to work in a commercial brewery with a 25 bbl brew house that used all 1.5" tri-clamp connections, so it made sense to me to use smaller fittings on my 1/2 bbl setup.

I probably would have gone with 1"/1.5" fittings had I not found deals on eBay.

Thanks for the input, I thought about going with 1/2" but I'm building this system to be expandable. I think 1" would be suitable while not creating a huge difference in diameter.

Back