Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
I'll go out on a limb and point out the "return" at the top of the typical keggle wall that has no counterpart on a kettle. It can cause some issues, albeit minor for the most part...

Cheers!
If that's the case, then [IMO] he's a p***y... It doesn't take much effort to trim that down to a very small amount. I did it in my BK, but left more on the MLT so that there was less heat loss and such. Can still get the mash paddle in there really well (into the MLT). There are some that have gone further to remove material from the opening. I chose to not do that with my current BK since I want to be able to easily stack it.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 07:15 AM   #12
Markd27
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
The typical thin wall stainless you find in many kettles/pots is not as sturdy as what you find in keg construction. Even a Blichmann kettle isn't as strong.

I'm a fan/advocate of keggles due to being able to customize them 100%. Not something you can do with pretty much all other kettles I've seen. You're always locked into some configurations that you might not want.

I have my oxy acetylene torch where I live once again. So, there's tons more I can do to customize my keggles (current and future). I also have the ability to bend my own 1/2" OD stainless dip tubes. I know most brewers don't go this far into making their hardware (most just buy their stuff or do minor fabrication). I'm more of a fan of doing things that I can.

I still want to know what was meant by the original comment I posted about... "without the pain of dealing with the internal surfaces on keggles." IME, there's no difference between keggles and kettles... With the exception, maybe, that kettles [inside] are more shiny... IMO, NBD. I've shined up keggles really nice without too much effort. So the outside of a keggle can be just as finished/polished as any kettle out there.
Yes, you love keggles. WE GET IT.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #13
bja
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 78 Posts

Quote:
As a test, kick both as hard as you can and see which one is deformed.
This is the stupidest comment I've read on this forum in a long time.

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

People Like This 
Old 11-13-2012, 01:38 PM   #14
Dog House Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

To each his own. I have all three. Mega Pot, Keggle, and a home fabricated BK. My least favorite is the keggle. Love how durable it is for sure. Heats slower than the other 2, but the tall narrow design I like. My favorite is the home fab kettle, The thickness is awesome, even though it's too heavy to move around. I really like the Mega Pot. Heavy duty and easy to move. I say get what is in the budget and easy to obtain.

Are You Going to Drink all That?

Old 11-14-2012, 06:45 AM   #15
brewguyver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
If that's the case, then [IMO] he's a p***y... It doesn't take much effort to trim that down to a very small amount. I did it in my BK, but left more on the MLT so that there was less heat loss and such.
Reasons I don't like keggles:
#1 - Many of the keggles circulating are stolen. It's a PIA to get them legally where I am (e.g. from CHI or other places - not worth the shipping cost in IMO)
#2 - I don't see the point of cutting the rim down to nothing, and I'm too big to get in there otherwise. The lack of being a p***y is more my problem(1).
#3 - They come in 1 size - 15 gallon - and the height doesn't translate well for a hop spider and a 5 gallon batch.
#4 - If i'm doing 50-100 batches a month on a kettle, you bet your @$$ the heating time makes a difference. Especially brewing indoors where I'll be forced to use NG instead of LP.

@Spike - post that drop-test video when you get a chance. Would love to see it!

(1) Goldie - I'll grant you I'm more of a p***y than i used to be - was able to get up to my shoulder in a corney keg the other day (vs up to my forearm). I need to get back in the gym.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:48 AM   #16
brewguyver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog House Brew View Post
My favorite is the home fab kettle, The thickness is awesome, even though it's too heavy to move around.
I may be picking up a 55g stainless kettle on casters with 3mm thick walls this weekend. Not sure what I'll do with it yet (thinking group mash tun), but the price is awesome.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #17
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyn55 View Post
Is there any advantage to a triclad pot ( mega pot) verses a single layer pot ( stout blicmen) for boiling wort thanks in advance
I have a morebeer pot with the triclad bottom. I use it to boil my work. It works great and makes awesome beer. I have a friend who has a blichmann. His pot also makes great beer. I don't see a big difference. For a brew pot I would not base my decision on the triclad bottom.

I will say the morebeer pot is way heavy duty. Super thick steel very strong and very heavy. It will last a life time. Blichmann pots are thinner and lighter but definitely strong enough to do the job.

Keggles are nice and can be very affordable if you can find one without steeling it from a brewery. They make good pots. I prefer regular pots over keggles. I like to scrub everything when I finish brewing and reaching the bottom of a keggle is more difficult then most standard pots. I also find the flat bottom of regular pots will sit better on various burners. But these are minor things that can be easily worked around so if you have access to a legal keg that's definitely a good solution. Keggles definitely can make excellent beer.

But really it's yeast and fermentation that make great beer so while you need a pot, don't obsess over brands and such. They all will get the job done.

Quick Reply