The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Transferring 10gal wort from kettle to conical

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2012, 05:29 AM   #1
Pintdiaries
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 11

Default Transferring 10gal wort from kettle to conical

I just received a bunch of new equipment for Father's Day: a 15gal brew kettle, a 14.5 gal conical fermenter, and 10gal coolers for MLT and Sparge tank.

But, I do not have a brew tower/sculpture; and I do not have a pump.

Any suggestions on how to transfer 10 gallons of wort to a conical fermenter without using a pump? Obviously gravity is the only other solution; I'm wondering if I could use some kind of modified jack to hoist the boil kettle high enough...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 06:18 AM   #2
dutchoven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Do you have CO2? Perhaps you could transfer under pressure ... Might be tricky to seal your pot, though ...

Old 06-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 82

I just pick it up and put the pot on a 3' wire shelf so gravity can do it's thing. It's pretty heavy, though, so I guess that depends on your health/strength.

EDIT: It just clicked that you wrote conical rather than carboy. Sorry. There should be some sort of mechanical fix (pulley system?) if you have a high enough anchor point for the pulley. Might be best just to get a pump, though.

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.
Pintdiaries Likes This 
Old 06-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #4
DaleP
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I empty the kettle into a sanitized bucket, 3 gallons at a time. then pour into the conical using a large funnel. But then, I brew in the back of the backyard and ferment indoors. Much easier hauling buckets than a full conical.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 380 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I have used a 1 gallon sanitized plastic pitcher to move wort in a pinch...not flashy but will work fine....3 gallons at a time in a bucket is a simple easy fix as stated above.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 06-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
Pintdiaries
Recipes 

Thanks, everybody--I'll be using a combination of lifting it onto a wire shelf and transferring it into a sanitized bucket right now (since I brew out back and ferment indoors, too).

Old 06-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
Pintdiaries
Recipes 

The other solution I just thought of involves using an inexpensive furniture hand truck to move the kettle up a simple wooden ramp to my deck, with the conical below, and using gravity to transfer. Then I'll use the hand truck to move the conical inside for fermentation; and move the conical up onto the deck for bottling (or just ask a brew buddy to help me lift it onto the counter in the winter months when it is too cold to bottle outside).

Quick Reply