Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Tower of Power is out...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
Deuce
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Tower of Power is out...

And holy $hit it is expensive.

http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/products/Tower-of-Power-Control-Module.html

I could understand paying that price for both of the units (HLT/MLT), but paying that for only one control system is just insane. I have all blichmann products, and realized they are expensive, but they perform. I cannot justify this however!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 11

To be honest that price is really good for what you are getting. I have built a few systems now and have a pretty good grasp of the components and what it would take to put this together. I would say that is one of the better control options out there right now. Especially considering it it for gas.

The tower isn't a bad price either. 1k for that full setup is pretty impressive.

Now, bring on the "I can build that for $80" crowd. That is a lot of quality and utility for the price. I would be tempted by it anyway.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
OneHoppyGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 52

It does include the Gas Valve for burner control. Gas Valve, Pilot and igniter is $250. Their PID is $100+ model. The price really isn't that bad once you consider all the pieces, labor and mark-up. I expected it to be a lot more.

We've been looking at building something similar for awhile and I doubt we could do it for less.

Brewright. All Rights Reserved. We reserve the right to brew and to help you brew. To protect the brew and defend the brew. To make the brew and drink the brew.

BrewSteel.com
BrewSteel on Facebook

Old 05-30-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
vince805
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Looking into pricing over the past couple weeks of automating my MLT/HLT, I agree the price for this is not too bad for the control unit. Definately has me interested.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
wubears71
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 27

That is a great price considering what you get. I was honestly expecting it to be a few hundred more per unit.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
chemman14
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 83

I am seriously thinking about getting this system. I would stick with my current burner for my HLT/BK and do a batch sparge. What would you guys suggest for a burner? And for a MT? I currently use a 10 gal rubbermaid cooler as my MT and would like to upgrade to a 15 gal MT to allow for bigger beers. Right now when i brew a bigger beer it fills my MT even at a low qt/lb of 1.2

Old 05-30-2012, 08:34 PM   #7
OneHoppyGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince805 View Post
Looking into pricing over the past couple weeks of automating my MLT/HLT, I agree the price for this is not too bad for the control unit. Definately has me interested.

Hey!!

Brewright. All Rights Reserved. We reserve the right to brew and to help you brew. To protect the brew and defend the brew. To make the brew and drink the brew.

BrewSteel.com
BrewSteel on Facebook

Old 05-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #8
OneHoppyGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I guess it's time to step up to the plate??

BrewSteel.com
BrewSteel on Facebook

Old 05-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #9
vince805
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemman14 View Post
I am seriously thinking about getting this system. I would stick with my current burner for my HLT/BK and do a batch sparge. What would you guys suggest for a burner? And for a MT? I currently use a 10 gal rubbermaid cooler as my MT and would like to upgrade to a 15 gal MT to allow for bigger beers. Right now when i brew a bigger beer it fills my MT even at a low qt/lb of 1.2
You want to upgrade to a 15 gallon rubbermaid MT? You wouldnt be able to use this with a cooler MT. It is designed for direct fired vessels.

The manual shows the ignition switch using both a bg14 and a cup style burner, but states several times it can be used with any burner. If I was to get 1 (or 2) I would be using it with BG12's.

After reading through the manul, it seems they designed this thing to work with all different systems. I am really sold on it. Like OneHoppyGuy says above, after you factor in the prices for parts (including misc stuff like wiring, box, connectors, etc) the price is quite decent, especially it being Blichmann.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #10
BeerguyNC61
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Shhhhhhhaaaaawing batta swing!

Quick Reply