Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Too Much One Step

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2010, 08:22 PM   #1
Rockweezy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Too Much One Step

I have been using One-Step as my cleaner for my last few brews. It seems that I need to use a lot though. For example, I rinse my primary with hot water and use the soft side of the sponge to get off all the noticeable trub then add 6 tbsp. of One-Step and warm water to top of my primary. I pour it out after an hour or so. On the next brew day, I use Star-San as a sanitizer, drain a add cool wort. Am I one the right track? Is my primary even clean using One-Step? Am I using too much One-Step?

Diamond Head Brewery (DHB)

Carboy #1: Tallgrass Talcyon Wheat
Carboy #2: Full Sail Amber Clone
Carboy #3: Graff
In the Hole: Keg #5: Citra Pale Ale

Keg #1: Darth Vader (Black IPA)
Keg #2: Smash Ale
Keg #3: Amayson Saison
Keg #4: Citra Pale Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2010, 08:37 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Um, one step is not NORMALLY used as a cleaner in brewing, it is used as a sanitizer and it is a pretty poor one anyway.

But to clean your gear a lot of folks use a brewery product called PBW (Proffessional brewer's wash) but many more of us these days use unscented oxyclean or one of the generic versions of it. No scrubbing required, let the bubble do the work. And rinse thoroughly.

SInce you are already using starsan to sanitize then I guess you can for now use the onestep to clean (since technically it is closer to a cleanser that an fda approved sanitizer like starsan and iodophor.) so you might as well use it up, but after words go to oxyclean, you will get better results.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-18-2010, 02:56 AM   #3
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

One step is substantially identical to oxygen clean. Both are markedly inferior to PBw or even unscented dishwasher detergent as these include a surfactant and chelating agent.

Quick Reply